Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

"Shameless" would you help them?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Whenever I see a tv show/movie about a family that is struggling but really trying to work hard and better themselves I think to myself "if I knew this family in real life I would do everything I could to help them."

but how do you find such a family if you don't know anyone or know that your help would actually help them to improve their situation rather than being irresponsible with the extra help (funds)?

My company wants to do a promotion where we have people nominate families in need and we fill up their fridge. There would be an application and possibly references required.  

Is there a better way to do this to make sure the recipients are truely needy and appreciative? We don't have the manpower to investigate each applicant 

We already give a significant amount to local food banks, but want to do something that can make a big impact on deserving families and hopefully bypass applicants that are looking for an easy handout. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Hopefully the friend who is nominating them is being truthful and knows their situation. I wouldn't do references that kind of a step on the toes maybe breaching some of their confidentiality to someone who doesn't know of their struggles. You can just make your best judgment and know in your heart you helped someone. For instance my bf husband makes great money, but back in the summer he had kidney cancer, now just finished radiation for thyroid cancer and it's been a hard one with him out of work and her a stay at home mom. So whether it's jobless, sickness, or just cant make ends meet we all struggle in different ways regardless. Best of luck. You will put a smile on someones face.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM

BUMP!

MsElastigirl
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM
That is awesome! More people should be like this and be more willing to help. I wouldn't know how to ask for proof without being invasive. But i cant see someone not wanting to allow some sort of investigation into their situation if they are really truly needy . Also, how do you nominate a family? I may know someone.
KenneMaw
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM

That is SO awesome!     Many churches know which families in their congregation are in need.   Our company has also worked closely with a few elementary schools who nominate families in need - the counselsors and teachers usually know which kids' familes are having a hard time.

If you open it up to applications, I believe you will be inudenated with 1000s of applicants.  This may make it too big of a job to handle.

Good Luck!

withsecond
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM
That's a great idea but I don't know any other ways to make sure they're legit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Contact local school districts and churches.  They know exactly who the needy families are.  Good luck!  Sounds like a great program!

mommaof697
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Salvation army or homeless shelters would know of people. 

But the people that nominate should know them enough to help. My church did this for Christmas asked for names of families to help out. I said my neighbor. I went shopping for toys and gifts and gave them gift cards all from the church. They loved it. Some how I knew all the gifts they wanted for Christmas. I was just the messenger though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN