Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Victoria's Secret employee told mother she should breastfeed her son in the alley?!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM
  • 40 Replies

Victoria's Secret Bans Breastfeeding Mom From Store Because Breasts Are, Um, Obscene?!

by Michele Zipp

breastfeedingWe look to Victoria's Secret to get those amazing push-up bras that work miracles. The adorable panties. Pretty little frilly things. Sexy scented lotions. Gisele Bundchen and Miranda Kerr are their models, showing off their curves and cleavage, half-naked, and adding just enough women-approved sex appeal. The shop seems very pro-woman and all that we are with the sparkly, scented body dust to prove it. Except one Victoria's Secret store did a Texas woman wrong ... because of her breasts. Because she was breastfeeding her baby.

Ashley Clawson just spent $150 and she asked the salesperson if she could go into the fitting room to breastfeed her son. The employee said no and offered up the alley outside because "no one usually goes there." Let's digest this a moment. The faces (and bodies) of Victoria's Secret are the mother of all breastfeeders Gisele and the auntie of all nursing mamas Miranda. Shouldn't this automatically make "Victoria" and her secret pro-breastfeeding?

Clearly no. Ashley was a paying customer. She even asked for a little privacy to nurse her 4-month-old baby in the fitting room. She could have just gone in there with him and done it. But she asked after spending quite a bit of money and was denied. I think it's safe to say that this store employee got the higher-ups' panties in a bunch because shortly after (and following complaints filed by Ashley), the company issued this statement on the matter:

We take this issue very seriously. We have a longstanding policy permitting mothers to nurse their children in our stores and we are sorry that it was not followed in this case. We have apologized to Ms. Clawson, and we are taking actions to ensure all associates understand our policy that welcomes mothers to breastfeed in our stores.

Thank you, Vicky's! As a former employee of your store about 867 years ago and a lover of your underwear, I'm quite pleased. I'd say this is a victory. If VS didn't move swiftly, they might get in a bit of trouble with Gisele and Miranda ... and all of us who champion the cause to get breastfeeding seen as "normal," nothing obscene. Including me. It's a mother's right to feed her child and a baby's right to eat. Heck, even the Pope says it's cool to breastfeed in the Sistine Chapel! Baby was probably starving after being in Victoria's Secret, shopping around with Mama, with images of what seems to be heaving with milk breasts everywhere. "Let there be milk!" Baby said. And Mama just wanted a nice place to sit. Those fitting rooms sure are lovely.

I think in response to this, Victoria's Secret needs to make some nursing bras. Because they don't. And they should! They also need to educate their employees that breasts can sell bras and feed babies -- which is apparently in the works. Let's get on that first one, *nudge* Gisele.

What do you think of this Victoria's Secret employee telling this mother she should breastfeed her son in the alley? What would Gisele say? Who wants VS nursing bras?!

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Eh.  I dont need permission in my state to nurse any more than another might to feed their baby a bottle.  I nurse in the target dressing rooms nearly every time I go there because its usually one of my last stops on busy errand days and the baby is hungry by then. I just go in the changing room for about 15 minutes and then I can shop at a relaxed pace as my baby naps after her meal.  I dont fit VS bras so I dont care if they have nursing bras or not.   Im a 36 DDD and vs doesnt come in that size

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM
They were wrong and admitted and apologized for it. I have always breastfeed in private, such as in the car before going into the mall. But only because I am the only person I know that breastfeeds and everybody has always told me they were grossed out by it.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

IF she was at a mall why not go to a restroom.  Nice ones in anchor stores.  Some women look to cause a scene or trouble I swear. 

EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd consider restrooms not to be the cleanest places.  Breastfeeing is normal and should not be discriminated against. 

withsecond
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM

If her baby is hungry, her baby should eat. She shouldn't have to go into an alley to feed her baby. How ridiculous, especially coming from VS where all their commercials show are mostly naked women. 

Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM

VS locks their dressing rooms.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Eh.  I dont need permission in my state to nurse any more than another might to feed their baby a bottle.  I nurse in the target dressing rooms nearly every time I go there because its usually one of my last stops on busy errand days and the baby is hungry by then. I just go in the changing room for about 15 minutes and then I can shop at a relaxed pace as my baby naps after her meal.  I dont fit VS bras so I dont care if they have nursing bras or not.   Im a 36 DDD and vs doesnt come in that size

BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

How was this mother LOOKING to cause a scene or trouble as one poster said?  Wow!  Good for VS for doing the right thing.  I think they should have given the mom a gift card or something too!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Many have super nice breastfeeding areas in anchor stores

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

I'd consider restrooms not to be the cleanest places.  Breastfeeing is normal and should not be discriminated against. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizard3731
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I agree the employee was wrong, but the mother received an apology and a gift.  What more does she want? 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM

She should have just sat down right there in the middle of the store, it's within her rights! Hope there is a nurse-in organized.  We need to educate our children ESPECIALLY young girls that nursing is NORMAL and NATURAL and bottles are NOT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)