Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I do NOT support spanking.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 242 Replies
4 moms liked this

I am a peaceful parent. I not only would never spank or smack my kid, but it sickens me to know that people DO... and think it's ok.

On my facebook i support peaceful parenting tactics. I post things that might help someone struggling to not spank... or resort to CIO. I post these things not to be in your face, or sanctimommy... but as a source of information to someone who might not know about it. I feel like many people think they have to resort to spanking in order to raise a respectable adult.... they also get to the end of their rope and dont know what else to do.

Here's what gets me. The people who post things in support of spanking. This drives me nuts. I think spanking is a way for parents to take their emotions out on their children. Its an excuse to use violence as a way to teach peace. It's wrong and i think even the people who do it know it is.

I had to delete a facebook friend today because of this. It sickens me to know they spank their adorable children (one of them is 2). 

How do you ladies handle this sort of thing? Do you speak up when they post something like that, or just delete them like i did?

I dont want to sound like a snob, and appologize if that's how i come off.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM
30 moms liked this

We were spanked as children and we turned out fine.  We thought twice about doing something after getting spanked for it.  I think that's the problem with kids these days, nobody wants to spank therefore the kids think whatever they do is ok.  Sorry to disagree with you but I think in certain cases spanking is warranted.  Kids have to learn at some point what the boundaries are.

Sorry it makes you sick to know someone spanks.  I never beat my child but a coupls pops on the butt sure made a difference.  I have also spanked my grandson and will do it again if need be.

cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:35 AM
7 moms liked this
I don't really care what others do I'm their house hold worth the kids they made and are raising. And i feel you should keep your opinion to yourself! And mind your own business
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM

What did i do wrong? can you point it out for me?

I'm simply saying i dont like seeing these "pro spanking" messages on my news feed so ive deleted the people.

Quoting cupcake_mom: I don't really care what others do I'm their house hold worth the kids they made and are raising. And i feel you should keep your opinion to yourself! And mind your own business

AllThatBabyJazz
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM
13 moms liked this

I support kids who obey and respect their parents. Sometimes a swat on the butt is what it takes to make sure that happens. To each their own.

thefiregoddess
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with you 100%

I really don't associate with people who assault their children and I've called cps more often than I care to admit here over it.

kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM
5 moms liked this
I ignore the post. I'm not deleting a friend over parenting decisions. If it's abuse (never seen in my friends), I'd report it. I was spanked. I try not to. I'm not saying I never have, but I prefer other discipline methods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I'm glad you agree. To clear things up this person was a friend of DH's...not myself... Facebook friend to me thats all.

Quoting kitty8199: I ignore the post. I'm not deleting a friend over parenting decisions. If it's abuse (never seen in my friends), I'd report it. I was spanked. I try not to. I'm not saying I never have, but I prefer other discipline methods.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM
7 moms liked this

The fact that it's OK for you to put your beliefs out there, but you aren't willing to give other's the same right.

I have quite a few friends that I don't agree with on certain issues . . . Politics, religion, child rearing, diet, sports, winter weather, etc.  But just as I have the right to hold and express my opinions . . .  SO DO THEY!  Generally, we have enough common ground and interests that I still value their friendship.  If there's not enough common ground, I move on. 

I'm neither narcissistic nor so insecure in my own beliefs that I am put out by their right to hold and express a different belief.  I don't get people who think their way is the only way.

Quoting Anonymous:

What did i do wrong? can you point it out for me?

I'm simply saying i dont like seeing these "pro spanking" messages on my news feed so ive deleted the people.

Quoting cupcake_mom: I don't really care what others do I'm their house hold worth the kids they made and are raising. And i feel you should keep your opinion to yourself! And mind your own business

kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Ok. Yeah I'll delete people i don't really know. I don't add them but used to add mutual friends. Need to clean house again.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm glad you agree. To clear things up this person was a friend of DH's...not myself... Facebook friend to me thats all.

Quoting kitty8199: I ignore the post. I'm not deleting a friend over parenting decisions. If it's abuse (never seen in my friends), I'd report it. I was spanked. I try not to. I'm not saying I never have, but I prefer other discipline methods.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never called CPS..  because once you call them they never leave you alone.... I would HATE to be responsible if a child where to be removed from their home or penalized in any way for the actions of their parents.

Normally i doubt it's abuse... it's more than likely and angry tired adult who cant handle their kid, or themselves and has to resort to hitting their kid. I think it's despicable because; who does that kid have to turn to for emotional support when mommy or daddy goes ape s**t and smacks them??? No one.

But the parent normally has a dozen other people to talk to before they take their anger out on their kid.

It's misdirected anger... it takes a mature person to handle their emotions and thats what i think we need to teach our children.

Quoting thefiregoddess: I agree with you 100%

I really don't associate with people who assault their children and I've called cps more often than I care to admit here over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)