Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Moms Can Track Their Kids' Every Move - Is this creepy or cool?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:35 AM
  • 9 Replies

Moms Can Track Their Kids' Every Move With These Creepy 'Cookies'

by Jenny Erikson

Here’s a new gadget that’s supposed to improve our parenting, but just reeks of creepiness. It’s called Mother (see? It’s creepy already!), and you can program it to monitor almost anything and everything in your house, and send the data to your smartphone.

The funny-looking pod comes with several “Motion Cookies” that can be attached to everything from the front door to a toothbrush. They detect movement, temperature, and patterns, and then the system analyzes the results and sends them to you.

In other words, you could attach one to your kid’s toothbrush to see if they really brushed their teeth for a full two minutes. Or, you know, you could parent your kids.

More from The Stir: New Over-the-Top 'Baby Monitor' Is a Neurotic Mom's Dream Come True

Seriously, I thought all this automation business was supposed to free us up to spend more time with our kids, and now we're automating parenting?

Ok, maybe I can see the one about windows or doors if you have rebellious teenagers, but I’m sure the first thing they’d do is figure out how to get around that system. Or they’d tell you that they’re spending the night at a friend’s house -- one without a robo-Mother.

The website for the Big Brother-esque claims, “she is like a mom, but only better.”

She doesn’t look very snuggly to me, and everyone knows that mamas are best for cuddles. Not sending information to your smartphone about how many times the fridge was opened that day and for how long.

Do you think Mother looks useful or creepy?

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Terrible  idea. We raise our children to succeed. In order to do that they have to have some failure and learn and grow from it.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I would not use it, and be worried that someone would use it as the sitter so Mom and/or Dad could have a night out without having to pay for a live sitter.

dawnrothbaum
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I don't see why this is even necessary. I don't want to monitor every  single step my kids make. How are they going to learn how to function normally?

Velvetfog
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM

The only thing that sounds creepy about it to me is the name. Personally I could only see using it for a specific situation but I don't see anything wrong with it either.

Mishy2
by Michelle on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I think it is a little creepy.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

m.garcia21
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I mean if youre being obsessive about it can be creepy. But i think its an awsome idea for a nanny cam. Maybe even can help if a kid gets kidnapped or something.
Alyjane
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM
That's the only reason I can see it being useful.

Quoting m.garcia21: I mean if youre being obsessive about it can be creepy. But i think its an awsome idea for a nanny cam. Maybe even can help if a kid gets kidnapped or something.
Firenygirl180
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM
I could see it being useful in certain situations. But for everyday use like kids brushing their teeth it doesn't make sense. I brush my teeth in the bathroom with my kids.

I think it is a little creepy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Helicopters mom's to the max. Not a good thing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)