Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

LETTING MY 5 MONTH OLD CIO FOR THE FIRST TIME

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM
  • 61 Replies

This really is a last resort, and it is breaking my heart. Recently I moved him from our bed, to his crib. He had been napping in it for a few weeks, so he was used to it. I slept on the floor with him for the first 3 nights. The problem is him staying asleep. For example, tonight he woke up 40 min. after I put him down, and I rocked and sang him back to sleep. Then only 20 min. later, he woke up again. I haven't picked him up yet, and he has been crying for quite a while now. It is breaking my heart. I know he is not hungry, he has a clean diaper, he is not cold (maybe hot now from all that crying). I just don't know any other way for him to learn that night time is for sleeping, and I cannot be there every time he wakes him self up a little bit. I don't know what to do. Am I doing the right thing? Before I started him in his crib if he stirred I would just offer him the breast and he would lull back to sleep. Causing me serious hip pain, and never more than two hours of straight sleep at a time. What do I do? ADVICE? ANYTHING?!

Love,

one seriously sad Momma :(

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dblhlx
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM
7 moms liked this
Personally i think 5 months is too young for CIO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I laid both my babies in their crib at bed time. He is just use to you being there for him when he woke up. Now that you are not there he is going to cry for you. The first couple of nights will be tough. But don't give in. As long as you know he is not hungry and doesn't need a diaper change he will be fine. My daughter was my first and I use to rock her to sleep every night. As soon as I stopped and got up she would cry and I would rock her again. Then later I got to where I could lay her in her crib. As soon as I let her go she would cry. It was at that poing I knew I have to do something different. So every night at 8:00 was her bedtime. After her bottle I would lay her in her crib. She would cry so long but after a couple of nights she got use to it. I have heard others say it takes their babies long. So I guess it just depends on the baby. I also give bath before last bottle and put lavendar lotion on. Thats suppose to help babies sleep. 

MrsKing0511
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Thank you both. I know he still needs to nurse a few times a night, but waking every hour doesn't seem right, or healthy for either of us. I guess I am going to take it one step at a time. Put him down at 7, comfort him when he wakes, but do not nurse until his 10:30 ":dream feed", and then shoot for a feed every 4 hours or so.  I don't know. Being a first time Mom is hard on mom and baby :(

redhead-bedhead
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:38 AM
4 moms liked this

It's biologically normal for babies to wake frequently.

Quoting MrsKing0511:

Thank you both. I know he still needs to nurse a few times a night, but waking every hour doesn't seem right, or healthy for either of us. I guess I am going to take it one step at a time. Put him down at 7, comfort him when he wakes, but do not nurse until his 10:30 ":dream feed", and then shoot for a feed every 4 hours or so.  I don't know. Being a first time Mom is hard on mom and baby :(

lilblu399
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like a growth spurt, let him nurse.Why is nursing to sleep such a terrible thing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM
3 moms liked this
Dr Jay Gordon has great sleep training tips, though he doesn't advise starting sleep training at all before a year. I've nursed all 4 of my babies to sleep and through the night in my bed, unapologetically as I believe it's best for them, through 18 months when I night wean. I'm a firm believer that our instincts are appropriate and if it's killing you to hear the baby crying, then respond to your baby and don't let him cry. Needs that are met are needs that go away, whether it's hunger or comfort.
Blue_Spiral
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:37 AM
4 moms liked this

Just bedshare. There is NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING wrong with it.

Anyone who says differently is seriously brainwashed. I'm not kidding. Do a lot of research on it.

Do not just let him suffer, when it is clearly even more work for you.

It is so much easier and HEALTHIER to keep him with you so you can nurse on demand and give him the psychological comfort that he desperately NEEDS.

pinkiebabii
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this
You can't schedule breastfeeding. Yes formula feed babies can go for hours without feeding but it is completely normal and healthy for him to wake up every hour.

I can't believe with all the research out there people can still be this ignorant on co sleeping, breastfeeding, cio, etc.

People do research on purchases than they do parenting.
pinkiebabii
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:45 AM
4 moms liked this
I just read he is laying there crying. Pick him up!!!
He is five months old.

So heart breaking seriously!! Do you know what kind of psychological damage you are causing that poor helpless baby??
paganbaby
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Co-sleep with him. My bf babies didn't sleep through the night until they were at least 2. But thanks to co-sleeping, I did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN