Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

fire or nook, or other tablet?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM
  • 23 Replies
Help me pick! Hubby said I can replace the nook tablet i have had for two years, the battery is having issues.

So now the big question what to replace it with!!!

List your likes about the tablet you own!
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WritingMom777
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I've had my kindle fire for a couple of years with no issues. Just got DS his own kindle fire because he was always using mine. My MIL has had a kindle for several years and I know she loves it. I don't know anything about the nook except that I think that you have more book options with Amazon.

babymommaoftwo
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Ipad mini. I have mini and hubby has regular ipad  I love my mini.  Had 2 different nooks and both died. With my ipad I can read library books, kindle books, and nook books.  There is also an app for nook kids for all the kids books I bought when I had a nook.  Now I can buy which ever is cheaper and listen to audio books I download from my library (overdrive media app).  

katarina666
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I got a Kindle Fire HXD for Christmass for $179.00 . It is awesome! I had a cheap Pandigital but it hadf a shit ton of problems!

LadyMarissa
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Have you considered replacing the battery in your Nook??? A battery is cheaper than a tablet!!!

I have the Fire HD & enjoy it greatly!!!   Then again, I've never known anything different with which I could compare.  I started out with the Fire, then was given the Fire HD & finally the Fire HDX.  So, my total experience has been with a Fire of some sort.  I can tell you I don't care for the HDX that much.  My friend wasted his money on that one. Out of the 3, my HD was my most favorite!!!  I mainly use it for reading books & playing games.  I've also got some music stored in Amazon's Cloud which I listen to when I have the time.  My eyes aren't as good as they used to be & I like that I can increase or decrease the font size as I need to when reading my books.  I can also highlight important sections & unhighlight if I decide I want to.  I can make margin notes & delete if I so desire.  I can look up info on certain words or phrases if I need to do any research for further clarification.  That one I've never had to use; but it's nice to know its there IF needed!  Everything I buy is kept in my Cloud; so just in case I lose it on my tablet, I can reload it for FREE!!!  The main drawback with the Fire is that you NEED WiFi in order to use it properly.  Once the books or games are downloaded, I don't need the WiFi to read or play.  However, I do NEED the WiFi in order to connect to the internet or play my music.  The main drawback for many is you're pretty much tied to Amazon for the apps & books.  I haven't tried it, but hear that it is tempermental when you try to add info from your computer.  They do give you an email address which I've seldom used because I have others I use more frequently!!!

michelle623
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I really like my Kindle Fire a lot!

cowgirls10181
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:50 PM
That sounds awesome! I would love both reading apps! Does the ipad mini have child lock out thing like the kindle fire says it has? Also is there a kid safe cover for it like the fire has?

Have a feeling the girls will want the new one to play with..

Quoting babymommaoftwo:

Ipad mini. I have mini and hubby has regular ipad  I love my mini.  Had 2 different nooks and both died. With my ipad I can read library books, kindle books, and nook books.  There is also an app for nook kids for all the kids books I bought when I had a nook.  Now I can buy which ever is cheaper and listen to audio books I download from my library (overdrive media app).  

poshkat
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Samsung. I have the nook app and the kindle app. Google and Samsung app stores.
cowgirls10181
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I have will cost $99 for the battery replacement. I have to ship it to nook then back and pay for repar cost. Is what b&n told me last week.

Quoting LadyMarissa:

Have you considered replacing the battery in your Nook??? A battery is cheaper than a tablet!!!

I have the Fire HD & enjoy it greatly!!!   Then again, I've never known anything different with which I could compare.  I started out with the Fire, then was given the Fire HD & finally the Fire HDX.  So, my total experience has been with a Fire of some sort.  I can tell you I don't care for the HDX that much.  My friend wasted his money on that one. Out of the 3, my HD was my most favorite!!!  I mainly use it for reading books & playing games.  I've also got some music stored in Amazon's Cloud which I listen to when I have the time.  My eyes aren't as good as they used to be & I like that I can increase or decrease the font size as I need to when reading my books.  I can also highlight important sections & unhighlight if I decide I want to.  I can make margin notes & delete if I so desire.  I can look up info on certain words or phrases if I need to do any research for further clarification.  That one I've never had to use; but it's nice to know its there IF needed!  Everything I buy is kept in my Cloud; so just in case I lose it on my tablet, I can reload it for FREE!!!  The main drawback with the Fire is that you NEED WiFi in order to use it properly.  Once the books or games are downloaded, I don't need the WiFi to read or play.  However, I do NEED the WiFi in order to connect to the internet or play my music.  The main drawback for many is you're pretty much tied to Amazon for the apps & books.  I haven't tried it, but hear that it is tempermental when you try to add info from your computer.  They do give you an email address which I've seldom used because I have others I use more frequently!!!

LadyMarissa
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

OK...another plus for the Fire.  I can purchase a battery for about $40 & install it myself!!!  I haven't done it yet mainly because my friend gives me a new Fire before the battery needs replacing; but it's nice to know I can!!!

Quoting cowgirls10181: I have will cost $99 for the battery replacement. I have to ship it to nook then back and pay for repar cost. Is what b&n told me last week.

Quoting LadyMarissa:

cowgirls10181
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Can you hear the sounds nicely or do you need headphones because the speakers seem to be an after thought?
Do you have the retnia or no? What does it help with?

Quoting babymommaoftwo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)