Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Have you ever let your sick kid play with others and yet become angry when it happens to you?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 6 Replies

Don't Bring Your Sick Kid Around, Even If I Do It To You First!

by Corey Levitan

While my two-year-old recovered from her recent tonsillectomy, a friend brought some get-well-soon gifts to our house. They included a toy and the virulent cold her two-year-old was suffering from but she didn't tell us about. The boy sneezed it into our daughter's face.

Knowingly bringing an infected kid around non-infected kids makes you a bad person. Period. And that's why, when we have plans we don't want to break, we all pretend not to know -- especially to ourselves.

That runny nose? Must be allergies. That cough? Reflux. Your temperature? No time to take it now, we're running late. Otherwise, we would have to admit that we are the bad people that we really are. And that we deserve it when it's done back to us.

For instance, our pediatrician's office is divided into two sections -- as indicated by the sign directing "sick patients" to the left, behind a partition. Whenever I see this, my first thought is how uncommonly courteous this setup is to kids coming in for a well check or skinned knee. But my second thought is how, no matter what we're here for, my daughter and I are not sitting in the sick section. So she has an ear infection. That means she should also pick up Ebola in her already-compromised state?

Thus, I had no right to be mad when our friend stopped by with patient zero. She was nice enough to think of our daughter's recovery and buy a puzzle. And she wanted to present it while the reason for presenting it still existed, and while her son -- who probably wasn't really sick, probably -- could wish her well.

Of course, just because I had no right to be mad didn't mean I wasn't. And this is because I am a hypocrite. I have never claimed not to be.

Thankfully, our daughter recovered without ever catching that cold. But we can't wait until her next play date shows up pretending not to have lice.

Have you ever let your sick kid play with others and yet become angry when it happens to you?

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM
I'd my kids are sick I will not take them around other kids. One girl who lived in my nwighborhood would send her kids over to my hours with lice and everything else under the sun and it would bug me to no end
cindilou13
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

No, we either warn people and still do whatever if ok (first paragraph) or avoid it altogether (2nd paragraph)...I only become angry when people don't warn us in return.

We have family babysitters, and baby sit for them in return.  When it comes to colds, sniffles, etc., we always warn the other people and they do in return as well, but generally we've gotten to the point where we don't drop everything to rearrange for a common cold or similar.  So often they'd have been contagious before they were symptomatic anyway and would already have spread the possibiltity, or any of the kids could start showing symptoms once they are already together.  Of course if it is something we can rearrange we do, but it isn't always practical.  We just all do our best to practice good hygiene and help the kids to, keep the area clean, etc.  And as far as attending events, etc., it depends on who, what, where as to whether we might still go or not...family, I would contact them and see what they though.  Friends, we'd skip it.    As far as school, I follow the school guidelines and dr's recommendations based on each indiviual scenario.

However the above all goes out the window when it comes to a stomach bug.  I will take off work unpaid if I have to but I make every effort not to purposely expose the kids to a stomach bug.  Those are just so virulent and miserable, especially when you have one that hates to vomit (no one 'likes' it, but he REALLY hates it).  Of course I can't prevent exposure to them at school, but I'll do what I can other than that.  If one of us does get it, that person is pretty much sequestered until it's gone!  I can't think of any event that I would still take the kids to if they had a stomach bug or if they would be around someone who did while we were there.

bhow
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I don't think so but, I do remember my cousin bringing her "snots" here when they were all snot nosed and coughing.  I asked her to leave one time.  4 kids and 3 were SICK!  What a jack ass she can be.  She was bored and didn't want to stay home ... Really?!

GodsAmiga
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM

If my kids only have a cold or something I will let the people know in advance and they'll let me know whether they want to reschedule or if they don't care. My best friend and I don't usually care. With that being said I know that many many parents used to think that I let my daughter go around their kids when she was sick-to play dates, the park, the library, the mall play places...but she never was. For a couple years she had asthma very badly. She was young so it took them a bit to diagnose her. But she would run for maybe a minute and be coughing as if she had pneumonia. I got all sorts of dirty looks and would have to explain that she wasn't sick a million times. Since we moved away from WA her asthma has gotten much much better and she barely ever has any flare-ups anymore. But that has definitely helped me not to judge a cough by its cover. Lol! With that said, I do appreciate it if someone does let me know if their child is sick beforehand. Especially back when dd's asthma was bad. She got sick super easily because of it-it would turn into a respiratory infection so I was really careful with her. I will return the favor as well because I know how it is to want to steer clear of any sort of bug or virus. :-)

MountieMama
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Unless we're deathly I'll or need a bunch of rest we will see close friends, especially our son and his friends. However the parents we're friends with all are under the same understanding: little cough and colds are okay to be passed around but do not bring a vomitying child anywhere near a healthy child!!
Sister_Someone
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM

I haven't. If my child is sick and I'm unable to stay home with him, I arrange for someone else, whom I previously warn of his illness, to come and take care of him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)