Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you require your SO's permission to go out with friends??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 352 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you need his permission to go somewhere?

Options:

No, I do what I want.

Yes, I ask for permission.

other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 581

View Results

A bunch of my friends and I are getting together for a girls weekend this weekend, something we can only do about once a year now that we're all married with kids. Anyway, one of my friends said she isn't sure she can go or not because she had to ask her man's permission. He's not even her husband yet, just a boyfriend of about 6mos, and she can't go out with friends without asking him for permission?

Do you need YOUR SO's permission to go out? Or is it more a case of you letting him know when and where you're going out of respect, not permission?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM
9 moms liked this
LMAO. That would be a hell no. I would be divorced if I needed permission to do anything. Been married almost 30 years.
Connie04
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM
52 moms liked this
I chose "other" because I always check with DH first to make sure he doesn't have something planned already that he hasn't mentioned yet or I forgot about. It is just a courtesy thing.
squocket
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM
4 moms liked this

I need his permission, but it is because both kids are still babies and his work-load increases substantially if I am gone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I let him know but I dont need his permission for anything. He's my boyfriend not my dad.

missym31
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM
18 moms liked this

I voted other, because I do not ask for permission but we always run everything by each other.

OwlNuggets
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I talk it out with him first.

His work schedule is iffy at best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree courtesy but that is not needing permission. Of course dh is gonna know where I am, but he has no say.

Quoting Connie04: I chose "other" because I always check with DH first to make sure he doesn't have something planned already that he hasn't mentioned yet or I forgot about. It is just a courtesy thing.
KristinD1988
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't ask for permission but I say 'Would you mind if.....' and he does the same with me. We can both be very forgetful at times so he might say well, I told you I had _____ to do that day or didn't you tell your parents to come over for dinner? So it's not so much asking permission as seeing if there's something else going on. If he did say yes I do mind, I would ask and pending the response I might do it anyway but that never happens.

Momofmenagerie
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM
6 moms liked this
I voted other because this is how it goes.

" I 'm going out with Jane Friday night to have dinner. Is that okay?"

The. " is that okay?" Is not actually ASKING permission and he knows it. It's more of a " do you have plans that night you neglected to tell me? Because I've verbalized my intention to go out."
LowryCuisine
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM

No permission, but I don't just get up leave either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)