Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

5 MONTH OLD WITH COUGH

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question:

Options:

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 0

So, my 5 month old has had a runny nose, sneezing and a slight cough for about 4 days now. No fever. The cough has gotten noticably worse (mostly at night), it sounds a little dry and raspy, but he only has done it a few times. He is itching his eyes, and sneezing a lot. I have been giving him vapor baths, keep the humidifier going, and have been consuming a lot more water since he is EBF. Do you think it could be time to see a doctor, or should I let it run its course and not panic? If you think I should let it run its course, what else can I do for my little man? =) All advice appriciated, thank you!!!

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Beautiful Boy ! You can put Vicks vapor rub on his feet then cover with socks. If he isn't running a fever keep him away from drs office(he will catch something) . Keep doing what you are doing lots of rest and snuggling.

MrsKing0511
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Thank you, what a good idea! I had been putting a tiny amount on his chest and back at night under his PJ's, but I was worried his skin was too sensitive, so I started just putting it on me so he could inhale while he night fed. Feet are such a good idea!!!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Beautiful Boy ! You can put Vicks vapor rub on his feet then cover with socks. If he isn't running a fever keep him away from drs office(he will catch something) . Keep doing what you are doing lots of rest and snuggling.

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Good idea put it on u keep it off the baby old wise tale !

Quoting MrsKing0511:

Thank you, what a good idea! I had been putting a tiny amount on his chest and back at night under his PJ's, but I was worried his skin was too sensitive, so I started just putting it on me so he could inhale while he night fed. Feet are such a good idea!!!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

gunnbugsmama
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's pedi reccommends that during sick times such as when the flu is wide spread to only take him if he has a persistant fever of 101 or higher. Other than that let it run its course unless it sounds like whooping cough or doesn't go away with in about a week and a half. 

2pink1blue
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not take an infant into a doctor's office unless I was really worried about a high fever or dehydration.  

His body is fighting off whatever bug he caught and it seems to be doing it well.  The cough is how he will expel the mucus, so don't do anything to stop it.  Saline drops in his nose may help too.  I hope he feels better soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM

According to my doc, if it's more than 10-14 days  and a mild fever. i.e. 99  then it may be a sinus infection. My 3 month old just got over hers  and she was stuffy for nearly a month.

BabyPink07
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

lots of breastfeeding and just let it run! feel better little man!

BabyPink07
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

breast milk in the nose helps too. 

m.garcia21
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM
You should just call tell them the symptoms and see what they reccomend gl
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)