Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you make them pay rent or buy groceries?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 431 Replies
3 moms liked this

My kids are expected to do some basic things around the house like cleaning up after themselves, doing some routine chores like dishes or laundry, etc., but I don't expect them to pay their own way. The only time I've asked either of them to pay for anything was when my then 15yo son exceeded the data limits on our cell service ON PURPOSE and racked up $200+ overlimit fees. He then had to do odd jobs around the neighborhood to pay me back for that (and, yes, there's a cap on his phone now ;) ).

My friend, however, is making her 16yo and 17yo pay "boarding fees." They go to school during the day and part-time jobs when they get out and every penny they earn goes to their mom for these fees she's instituted. She's not saving the money on their behalf or putting it into college funds, just putting it in her bank and spending as she sees fit, which, as far as I can tell, means getting her hair and nails done routinely. Now, I know, it's her family and to each her own, but still I can't help but think this is wrong and unfair to those kids.

What do you think? Would you make your kids pay rent or buy groceries? If so, at what age or under what circumstances would you do so?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Connie04
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM
34 moms liked this
Not while they are in school. I can see charging something once they're adults and making a wage. Sounds like this lady sees her kids as a cash grab.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM
4 moms liked this

I personally think that is wrong on so many levels! When I lived with my parents past the age of 20 I was asked to put money towards groceries or utility bills. The amount they asked for depended on what kind of job I had, how much I made and how many hours I worked per week. My parents wanted me to be able to save the rest of my income to get out on my own.

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM
14 moms liked this
The only situation I can think of where I might charge my kids for food and/or rent would be if they were 18+yo with no job, not going to school or doing anything productive. As teenagers in hs? No way! It's my and dh's job to provide for them.
redheadstar
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this
When I was younger and got my very first job, I was 20 and worked full time, my parents took $80 aweek from me, I ddidn't mind because I ate at home and used the utilities but would I require that of my own kids when they get a job? It depends, if they are working while going to school, No, but if they graduated school and work a decent full time job? yes, I would.
smalltownmom03
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM
7 moms liked this
My rules are that they have to either be in school or working. As long as they are in school they dont have to pay me anything. If they decide to stay after highschool and not go to college they will pay rent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM
11 moms liked this

If she's banking the money for them, that's great.  If she's pocketing it and spending it on herself, I'd report her to CPS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM
7 moms liked this
Until the kids are 18 they are her responsibility & she should not be collecting rent from them. They're not her roommates. I think it's rediculous. If they were 20 & not in school just hanging around doing nothing that would be a different story.
othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM

No I don't think it is okay to charge a child rent unless they are over 18 and out of school. I would ask them to help  buy extras that they want or if the go over on a phone data plan or anything like that.

little.worthen
by Tess on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd make them choose one thing or the other after they were 18. If they were still at home I'd make them either help out and clean up after themselves or pay rent and make their own meals.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:50 PM
8 moms liked this
Lol for what? Teaching her kids responsibility? In the real world nobody is banking your money for you.
More kids need to learn how to budget etc before they go out into the real world

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

If she's banking the money for them, that's great.  If she's pocketing it and spending it on herself, I'd report her to CPS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)