Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you make them pay rent or buy groceries?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My kids are expected to do some basic things around the house like cleaning up after themselves, doing some routine chores like dishes or laundry, etc., but I don't expect them to pay their own way. The only time I've asked either of them to pay for anything was when my then 15yo son exceeded the data limits on our cell service ON PURPOSE and racked up $200+ overlimit fees. He then had to do odd jobs around the neighborhood to pay me back for that (and, yes, there's a cap on his phone now ;) ).

My friend, however, is making her 16yo and 17yo pay "boarding fees." They go to school during the day and part-time jobs when they get out and every penny they earn goes to their mom for these fees she's instituted. She's not saving the money on their behalf or putting it into college funds, just putting it in her bank and spending as she sees fit, which, as far as I can tell, means getting her hair and nails done routinely. Now, I know, it's her family and to each her own, but still I can't help but think this is wrong and unfair to those kids.

What do you think? Would you make your kids pay rent or buy groceries? If so, at what age or under what circumstances would you do so?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Replies (441-447):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 88 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:15 AM
Nope. Unless their over 18 then definitely not. But if they came to me one day as adults and needed my help because their down on their luck I would help them.
DONNAOPULENTO
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM

No.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM

No way.bad

Meowmuffin
by Member on Oct. 25, 2017 at 8:12 PM

As soon as they have income I expect them to contribute. Not a set amount but I expect them to help. I've never had to ask my children to do it but they have, happily. My 18 year old son started buying things we needed when he was 12. He would get money from his father's estate (his father died when he was 2) he'd see that we were out of milk or eggs or something and he'd pick them up if he was at a store. If he knew we need something that we couldn't afford like the car repaired he'd offer to take money out of his bank account. I've never asked directly . 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 89 on Oct. 28, 2017 at 2:35 PM

No. I have a 15 year old and right now, he only job is to focus on school and get an education. He can get a job if he really wants to. But only if he is doing well in school. And any money he makes is his to keep and spend as he wants. Until he turns 18, he is 100% our responsibility and we will pay for all the important stuff like food and clothes and that. 

sensor
by on Dec. 18, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Not while they are in school. I can see charging something once they're adults and making a wage. Sounds like this lady sees her kids as a cash grab

Southern_Song
by Member on Dec. 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM
Under 18 it is illegal in most states to require your child to pay rent or for food. I think it's bad parenting bordering barbaric.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)