Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should husbands be banned from the delivery room?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM
  • 160 Replies

8 Reasons Husbands Should Be Banned From the Delivery Room​

by Mary Fischer

husband in hospital

When it's time to sit down and make a birth plan, most moms-to-be don't even question whether or not their partner will be in the delivery room when it's time for junior's arrival.

I mean ... duh! Of course he's gonna be there. Why wouldn't he?!? He's the kid's father and needs to be there to hold your hand and support you. He should also have the pleasure of witnessing the miracle of birth, right?

Wrong. Maybe.

Yes, it's wonderful to have him there and all -- but there's also a decent chance things could backfire if he's present. And that's why it's not the worst idea in the world to consider having him wait right outside the door until the final push is over.

I'm being serious. For reals.

Here are eight legit reasons to kick your husband out of the delivery room.

1. He might faint -- Ain't no shame in it. Some dudes just can't stand the sight of blood, let alone all the moaning and screaming. Labor is stressful enough without your husband dropping over and cracking his head open.
  2. He might annoy the s**t out of you -- And possibly literally. Granted, you might love having him there to try and calm you down, but then again, his words of encouragement might drive you bananas when you're in the midst of full contractions.
  3. Seeing you give birth could ruin your sex life forever -- Yes. It can. Some guys are perfectly fine and are still all over their wives after watching them push out a baby. But then there are those who can never look at her vag quite the same ever again. It happens more often than you think.
  4. You might poop on the table -- And he might not think it's very cute. Plus, then you can't give him shit for using the downstairs bathroom to do his business anymore.
  5. You might break his hand -- Seriously. You just wait until the pushing phase and see how hard you squeeze him.
  6. He might eat in front of you -- This is the worst. There's nothing worse than being forbidden to eat while watching your beloved chomp down on a foot-long sub because he "hasn't eaten in two hours."
  7. You might knock him out -- Yes, you just might clock him if he gets too close and starts trying to give you a little pep talk. In your defense, you can't control your reflexes when it feels like there's an alien coming out of your body.
  8. He might take your picture -- Do you really want a mid-labor pic being posted to Facebook? I didn't think so.

Should husbands be banned from the delivery room? Is your husband planning on being in the delivery room?

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM
64 moms liked this
This is the stupidest stir article I've seen yet. Keep your hubby out because he might prefer to watch football. Ya that's not setting a dangerous precedent.

My husband is my partner. Not only do I deserve his support but he deserves to be there for the first moments of his kids lives. If he doesn't like blood he can hang out by my head.
MizzSuzy
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
He wanted to be there "even though he was behind me the whole time lol" and i wanted hin there too and everything came out fine. His hands are good lol
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM
3 moms liked this
FFS This is a ridiculous article.
Danapopcorn
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM
5 moms liked this

Pretty sure everyone is perceiving this article wrong. The over all question is, would you like for your husband to be in the delivery room with you OR would you find it counter productive.  She's not implying or asking if there should be an ACTUAL ban that applies to everyone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Dumb as hell.

If he faints who cares. Mine didn't.
Mine didn't annoy me.
Sex was fine.
Get an enema and you won't poop on the table, lol.
Break his hand, lol. No
Mine ate in front of me. Who cares.
I wasn't swinging at anyone.
We didn't take pics till after and I looked like hell. So what.
cupcake_mom
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I would kill my df if he wasn't there. He is my biggest supporter and my biggest comfort. There is no way i would want him out in the waiting room. I'm more likely to do most of these things to my mother than my df
Saharra
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
My DH was in the delivery room. Absolutely none of the above happened. He was close to passing out though, was when the anesthesiologist was having trouble with the epidural. He didn't like that at ALL. But he sat down and the nurse came to talk to me and we were fine. I wouldn't have wanted him elsewhere!
MistyMoo
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Dh most likely won't be around for the birth of this child and that kinda makes me sad. I'll just have DD IF they let her in. She's only 2. He'll probably be at work about an hour away.. But yeah, I've never had anything like that happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM
I'd want my s/o there I doubt ill let go of his hand
LowryCuisine
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

DH was the only thing keeping me for screaming my head off and beating the nurses and doctor. So yeah, pretty glad he was there for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)