Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Autism TV Characters

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

I just found The Bridge. Has anyone seen it? Not the first TV show I watched with a character implied to be autistic. Just wondering what other's opinions are. Do you feel these characters shed positive or negative light?

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mishy2
by Michelle on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is important for autism awareness. I like the idea of characters portraying individuals with autism. Off the top of my head I can think of a few shows - Touch, Days of Our Lives, Parenthood.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat. Join us today!                
http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

letstalk747
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM

i havent seen this yet

tinkerspell
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

i hate mercury rising i hate how they have the chikd acting in that way 

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I think Sheldon from Big Bang Theory has aspergers.  Eh, I like him as a character.

dayskitty
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Love Days Of Our Lives.Theo is a cutie

Quoting Mishy2:

I think it is important for autism awareness. I like the idea of characters portraying individuals with autism. Off the top of my head I can think of a few shows - Touch, Days of Our Lives, Parenthood.

GirlWithANikon
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Its ok, its a cop show. I like coip shows but so far I am not attached to any of the characters so its just ok. I am through half the first season. Im not sure when exactly season two starts. The main detective in this is a woman with autism.

It could be an accurate portrayal of effects of some of their challenges but I do feel like sometimes they make her look bad or maybe like she isn't good at her job due to lack of compassion etc.

Quoting letstalk747:

i havent seen this yet

letstalk747
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

oh , i will have to check this out

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Its ok, its a cop show. I like coip shows but so far I am not attached to any of the characters so its just ok. I am through half the first season. Im not sure when exactly season two starts. The main detective in this is a woman with autism.

It could be an accurate portrayal of effects of some of their challenges but I do feel like sometimes they make her look bad or maybe like she isn't good at her job due to lack of compassion etc.

Quoting letstalk747:

i havent seen this yet

mamatink7
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

i just searched this and found sooo many TV shows dipicting ASD characters. however wish they would show more severe autism rather than just aspergers though. 

alphas, big bang theory, bones, boston legal, criminal minds, fringe, king & maxwell, ncis, parenthood, regenesis, rizzoli & isles, royal pains, st elsewhere, bridge, & the middle

butzi
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM
The guy on King and Maxwell seems way deeper into the spectrum than just Aspergers. Just my opinion since he isn't a real person, it's a little hard to tell.
redheadstar
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Quoting dayskitty:

Love Days Of Our Lives.Theo is a cutie

Quoting Mishy2:

I love Theo, I love when he gets together with Ciari. LoL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)