Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is responding "What?" disrespectful?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 197 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I've never had anyone become up in arms when I've asked them "What?" before. A lady today was speaking to me from a respectable distance and I could not hear her. When I've responded "What?" to her she was up in arms and said "Excuse me?! I am a grown ass woman!" I was pretty taken aback by that since I've never considered it offensive.

ETA:

Thank you all for your insight! I have spoken to a few friends who all seem to think it is a regional difference. I'm from the North West and the lady is very Southern. I am very sure I wasn't speaking in a rude tone, however we both work together and I was in quick need of information so I said what I thought would grant me the quickest reply in turn. I try my best to be polite and mind my manners in conversation especially at work. I will definitely try to be aware that it is a faux pas here.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanuaryBaby06
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM
14 moms liked this

i was always told not to say what... to say excuse me, but that can sound just as bad in my opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM
17 moms liked this
She over reacted.
shoot4thestars
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I would have looked her up and down said 'Really?'...lol  Actually, I probably would have just ignored her and walked away. 

JoanahLee
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM
19 moms liked this

Yes, but not nearly as disrespectful as flipping out at someone who was not trying to be disrespectful.  Its a bit rude, there are nicer ways to ask someone to repeat themselves, but its awful. I usually say "Im sorry, what?" as in "what did you say, I did not hear you" but im too lazy to finish the sentence.   The child-raised-in-the-bible-belt in me cringes every time I do it because I know a correction is coming from somewhere LOL 

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like it was a HUGE bug up her ass that day! lol but no I don't find it disrespectfull. I'm sure we've all said it at one time or another. When I can't hear someone I've also said Pardon me and I'm sorry I didn't hear you.

Snapdragon88
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM
8 moms liked this
She overreacted, but I always say "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you..."

What? Can sound rude.
Retrokitty
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I always say pardon, what doesn't sound right to me. I wouldn't care what other people say though.
LuvMyBoys09
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I don't really think it's disrespectful but if I can't hear someone, understand what they said or whatever, I'll say "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you." "I'm sorry?" Or "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that."

She overreacted by a great deal.
ame85
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM
4 moms liked this
I try to say "I'm sorry?" Or to my DD I say "Yes, honey?" I usually only respond with what when I am grumpy.
Elle.tea.22
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM
4 moms liked this
When someone speaks to you and you say what it sounds disrespectful. Say excuse me I can't hear you. Or if someone says your name, say "yes?" Not what.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN