Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Does your child's school ban foods? Allergy post - keep it civil

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 44 Replies

Just read another article about food in elementary schools and the ensuing comment war. 

I counted up and one or all of my children have attended seven elementary schools at some point.  (Between moves, rezoning, and kids attending separate schools for gifted and ESE programs.  Calm down lol.)  At each of these schools and during preschool I brought snacks and birthday treats.  Each time I asked the teacher if anybody had allergies to consider and they told me to bring whatever. 

So where are these schools with dietary restrictions?  Is it a regional thing, or economic?  We are none too prosperous and generally their schools don't turn down any food, even if it's crap.  My nephew's private school in Texas has no dietary restrictions - in fact they have fast food catered lol.  Surely at some point my children have attended schools with children that have food allergies yet I have never encountered dietary restrictions for an entire school. 

I'm curious, does your child's school ban foods?  What region do you live in?  Urban or rural?  Public or private school?  If public, is it in a prosperous part of town?  Struggling school? 

I'm NOT asking if you agree with food bans at school.  I've seen enough "My child's right to live trumps your right to nuts" and "Keep your precious snowflake at home" for one lifetime.  Just want to know what your school policy is and the demographic there.

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Endless.Mom
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Tree nuts and peanuts are banned at the schools because many children have had severe allergies. We're in CT. Peanuts seem to be banned everywhere here.

morriganna
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Quoting Endless.Mom:

Tree nuts and peanuts are banned at the schools because many children have had severe allergies. We're in CT. Peanuts seem to be banned everywhere here.

Some schools have been in the news that have a ban in place for one severely allergic child.  This is a common allergy in CT then?  Online it would seem that nut allergies are rampant but I've never been affected by a nut policy IRL.  Wondering if the allergies are more common in some areas, or if schools here are just less likely to handle them that way. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM
My kids schools didn't. We went to multiple schools in different states. They had peanut free table. Kids have to learn to deal as my neighbor said. She has some highly allergic kids but keeps peanut butter because you have to learn to live and deal. Sawher dh having a sandwich with the kids around. You can't bubble kids just educate.
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Our school allows snack during the day, and if a child in the class has a food allergy then that food and foods containing or possibly contaminated with it are banned in the classroom. In the cafeteria half of the lunch table is designated for children with allergies, and only kids with lunch not containing those foods can sit on that end.
Endless.Mom
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Quoting morriganna:

Quoting Endless.Mom:

Some schools have been in the news that have a ban in place for one severely allergic child.  This is a common allergy in CT then?  Online it would seem that nut allergies are rampant but I've never been affected by a nut policy IRL.  Wondering if the allergies are more common in some areas, or if schools here are just less likely to handle them that way. 

They have to ban for one child or the child can die. The dust from the nuts gets into the air. I don't even know if there is a child with a nut allergy in each and every school but the ban goes through our whole school system. They just sub out sunflower butter for nut butters. I would rather they do this than have a child go into anaphylaxis in front of my child. Even if they don't die your child will be watching a kid in their school essentially choke to death. It's horrific to see.  

zoo003
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Nothing has been banned from any of the schools that my 3 kids have attended.   

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM
And to add, if someone has a food allergy in the classroom then all the children have to wash their hands before entering the classroom. So far both of my children have had a child with a peanut allergy in their classroom.

Quoting toopicky429: Our school allows snack during the day, and if a child in the class has a food allergy then that food and foods containing or possibly contaminated with it are banned in the classroom. In the cafeteria half of the lunch table is designated for children with allergies, and only kids with lunch not containing those foods can sit on that end.
Jademarae24
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is only in preschool but we are not allowed to bring any food or drinks into the building. Its a little frustrating.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
How do they go anywhere? Residue is everywhere? Curious not starting an argument.

Quoting Endless.Mom:

Quoting morriganna:

Quoting Endless.Mom:

They have to ban for one child or the child can die. The dust from the nuts gets into the air. I don't even know if there is a child with a nut allergy in each and every school but the ban goes through our whole school system. They just sub out sunflower butter for nut butters. I would rather they do this than have a child go into anaphylaxis in front of my child. Even if they don't die your child will be watching a kid in their school essentially choke to death. It's horrific to see.  

BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I know that there were some classes that had signs stating that this area was a peanut free zone.  Never really checked into what that meant as I couldn't bring things to class because of working and my kids, thankfully, don't have that allergy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)