Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

SAHMs, why do you do it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 350 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm not judging stay-at-home-moms at all just trying to figure out why you stay at home instead of working from home or working outside the home.

Why do you do it? What are the pros and cons of staying at home?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM
4 moms liked this

I did for my children for many many years. I couldn't work and take care of their high demand needs. I'm now a wahm but my high demand children are 16 & 19 and finally stable enough for me to do that. The doctor appointments alone were enough to not allow for anything else. 

Mind you my culture alone demands that all women stay at home and care for their home and families. I can't clean and scrub like I used to though due to a spine injury. So starting up my business made more sense. I honestly don't think I would be working now if my spine was solid.

Connie04
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM
14 moms liked this
#1 Pro is time with your kids. They are only little for so long. #1 Con is that money can be a bit tight sometimes. On the Pro side, you save $$ on daycare, work clothes, transportation costs.
MomstheBom24
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM
4 moms liked this

...to take care of your children? If you can, why not? If you can afford it-why have your children and then have someone else take care of them? 

I'm a WAHM since a year ago and before that I was a working mom since my son was born. If I could afford it, I wouldn't work at all. I do everything with the house, food and kids (traditional female work) and work so I get tired and overwhelmed often but that's how it is. 

jjchick75
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM
16 moms liked this
Because I want to be with my kids. I was a single mom with my oldest aa nd of course I had to work. I hated it. I felt liked I never got to see her and missed out on everything. After I remarried and we started having children, I knew I wanted to give them what I couldn't give my daughter. My husband has a great job and makes great money. I stay home and take care of the house, the kids, and our farm(I also homeschool). I love it. I love it more than I ever did being a working mother.
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I've been a working mom, and currently a SAHM. Staying home works better for us, and saves us money. It works for my family, and that's why I do it.
Saharra
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM
3 moms liked this
It's too expensive for me to find child care for my two boys. I do a LOT of working at home, but none of it is paid, exactly. I work for a kids camp, and I do everything with their horses because I live there. I enjoy it and it does give me small breaks. But I love my kids and I haven't missed much of anything. Their first smiles and steps. The first words. Some days are hard. My kids are both boys and have a TON of energy. They are still small. I will probably work around the camp more once both are in school. Then I can still be on call as needed and help if there are issues, but also get more work done at both my house and with the horses. I also do guided trail rides as weather allows.
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Because I want to be home with my kids and because to send my 2 kids who are still at home, to daycare would cost me $124 a day
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM
4 moms liked this
I had a career once upon a time. I had the first 11.5 years of my marriage to devote to my husband and career. When we adopted our daughter from China 7 years ago, I made the decision to stay home to ensure her attachment and learning English as well as catching up to her peers. Eight months after Lilly came home we found out that I was pregnant. I was on complete bed rest from 6 weeks until I delivered at 34 weeks..our dd was medically fragile for 6 months. I continued staying home as my DH makes 6 figures on his own and I do not need to work. I have been a SAHM for 7 years and I love it.
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM
9 moms liked this
Why not? We are beyond financially secure. I dont need to work and I get to be with my babies all day. I dont see a con...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I did because I could afford to. Waited till I was pregnant with number 2 and daycare would have eaten up my whole check for 2 kids. Dh got a big raise at that time. We waited 7 years to have kids in the first place so we had nice savings.
Haven't worked for 20 years. I do volunteer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN