Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

SAHMs, why do you do it?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not judging stay-at-home-moms at all just trying to figure out why you stay at home instead of working from home or working outside the home.

Why do you do it? What are the pros and cons of staying at home?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Replies (341-350):
LinnyAnne
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Dh and I decided that with him being gone for 12 months at a time and away a lot of training an so forth. It's better for our children that I stay home w them an be the stability they need.

Yes money is tight at times, yes there are times I'm tempted to get a job just to get out of the house. But to be there for my son and be his one constant in his life is good enough for me to stay home w him.

Also any job I would get would pay for child care and that's it I wouldn't be contributing anything to our income.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM

We couldn't see paying someone else to raise our children. It would have cost us more in the long run. Work full time just to pay daycare. Where is the logic in that?

Jamie1972
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I stayed home because my oldest developed epilepsy, which led him to be speech and development delay, learning disability, aggressive behavior, pdd-nos, borderline mentally challenged. Once he was well enough and I coukd take time to look, and my youngest being in school full time she came down with diabetes. 4 yrs later everything is fine. No more medical problems. Now I can look, but getting a job interview with a 12 yr missing gap and being over 40 makes it that much harder.

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I hoose to go back to work my kids are 13,15,16 and I was home for about a year and I was going nuts !

Pink.Frosting
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

When I worked, if my child was having a bad day or sick or anything like that, I had two choices.  One, I could stay home with them, in which case I spent the whole day feeling guilty for not being at work.  Or two, I could send them on to school or have my husband stay with them, in which case our main breadwinner lost a day at work and I always felt guilty for being at work instead of with my child.  So no matter what, I felt guilty and stretched in two directions.  There was no side of the coin where I felt like I didn't lose.

When I worked, yes I did housework and I cooked and cleaned.  But I spent everyday feeling like I was in survival mode.  Trying to get as much done as I could, deal with homework and supper and laundry and shopping.  I lived at the end of my rope.  Now that I'm home I can relax and breathe.  I can have a schedule that doesn't wear me down into the ground until I just feel like a raw nub.  And yes, I can do more at home than when I worked.  I can spend more time really getting into organizational projects.  I have more time to find and try more new recipes.  I have more energy so I feel like pouring more of myself and my time into decorating and just doing nice things around my house.  Did I still do all those things when I worked?  Yes.  But now, I literally can do more of them.  More time, more energy,  more projects, more good moods and less stress.  That's how it works out.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is what is best for me and my family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 57 on Apr. 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
The pros of being at home. You raise your children. They have your morals, values and characteristics and learn exceptable behavior from you. The cons are finding adults stimulation for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 58 on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM

well i don't have to pay 4 daycare and it is expensive so..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:28 AM

It's easier and cheaper, we have one car currently so i would have to find a job that (a) can work around his work schedule, with can be crazy (anywhere between 7am-4pm or 3pm-12am) and the times daycare is open OR (b) make enough that we could justify another car payment, gas, repairs and full coverage insurance plus daycare.

I had a job that was part-time when we first had kids, we had ZERO time together and it wasn't enough to justify the costs of daycare. Most jobs here are now part-time, DH is lucky to have a full time job. It works out better for us, i take care of everything else so the only thing DH has to worry about is going to work.

sgtLF
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 4:10 AM

love being with my daughters when they were young

taking them to school and picking them up and

not having to worry about before and after school

care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 60 on Apr. 8, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I have three special needs and putting them in daycare so I can work and have someone else raise my children (which is the parents job) I had a stay at home mom when I was younger and my mom went back to work my high school years.  you look at it this way the best way for your children to grow up to be the best that they can be is by there parents.  Putting them in daycare and then they pick up bad habbits no thankyou and why should i work to pay for daycare.  when my youngest hits kindergarden Ill get a part time job around school hours but theres not way I am putting my kids in someone else care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)