Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think ex-spouses can really be friends?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM
  • 19 Replies

Why Being Friends With Your Ex-Husband Isn't Always a Good Idea

by Jenny Erikson

When I hear stories of other divorced couples being friends with each other, I turn a little green with envy. A lot of times it’s for the kids, of course, but there seems to be a lot of “we just didn’t function well as a couple” going around. I guess it’s easier to be friendly with someone you don’t have to live with every day.

That’s not my story. I can wish it was all I want, but it doesn’t seem to be in the cards for me. It’s been almost a year since we ended things, and I can count on one hand the number of conversations we’ve had that didn’t involve the logistics of the divorce or the children.

And you know what? I’ve accepted that. Maybe things will change someday, and I’m certainly open to and hopeful for the possibility, but for now I’m OK with not having my ex in my life.

I don’t know why or how some couples are able to settle into friendship after a divorce. I’ve certainly tried, but the results have not been good. I invited him for ice cream with the kids at the mall once, and I thought we might be crossing over into the land of friendship, but I made the fatal mistake of mentioning it.

More from The Stir: Men Who Are Friends With Their Ex-Wives Make Me Nervous

“This is nice,” I mentioned, as our daughters were playing together in their own world. It was a little awkward, but the conversation was flowing and much to my surprise, I realized I was actually enjoying myself a little bit. “It is,” he agreed.

“Just because we’re not married doesn’t mean I don’t want to be friends,” I said. You think I’d know by now not to say such nonsense, but I couldn’t help myself. I wanted a friendship not just for the kids but also because there are parts of him that I genuinely enjoy -- I did marry him for a reason. No such luck.

He just stared at me and said, “I can’t be friends.”

“What do you mean?” I cautiously asked.

“It’s all or nothing. I can’t be just friends if I can’t have you for my wife.”

And that’s basically it right there. The fundamental personality differences that made it impossible for us to have a mutually satisfying long-term marriage are now making it incredibly difficult for us to have any semblance of friendship, no matter how superficial.

So we make the best of it. We both love our daughters and make sure they know they are loved and that this has nothing to do with them. We communicate when we need to, but we do our own things the rest of the time.

Just like every marriage is different, every divorce is too, and sometimes the best option isn’t to remain friends. Trying to force a relationship of any kind when it’s not mutual is just a recipe for disaster.

Do you think ex-spouses can really be friends?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Yes, they really can sometimes be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Socially, civil, yes. Have seen it.
Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Yes, I'm very good friends with my ex and his new wife.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlesheep7
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Yes. He still annoys me but my boyfriend and myself both respect and appreciate my friat husband and are "friends" with him. Its not like I call him to chat but if he comes to see the kids he doesn't have to wait outside and he will help me move or go to the same school events. Ita not a big deal.
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Ex husbands yes when kids are in the mix other than that no !

indianarose729
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM

My ex-husband and I are friends. We even stay living in the same house (the economy sucks). I guess why this works so well for us is that we were more roommates than husband and wife during the marriage. (And no there is no sexual favors between us.) We do this not only for our dd but for ourselves as well. In our case really neither one of us was at fault. We just aren't compatible to be in a marital relationship. And we plan on staying living together to raise dd till she is 18 (she's 12 now). This way there is no need for her to go from one house to another to see each of us.  I know there are a lot who are "friendly" towards each other for the sake of the kids, but we in fact are being friends not only for our dd but for ourselves.

quickbooksworm
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM
I think it possible. Personally I wouldn't give a damn if my ex fell off a cliff.
BL2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I didn't read the story but I believe it is possible. I've known a few that were able to break apart and stay friends and I am so proud of them for doing that. It means alot to the children.

Excited48
Having a pretty good week! Praying for those struggling. Love to all!
Today at 10:31 AM
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM

We are

Mishy2
by Michelle on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I think they can be if they can remain civil especially if there are any children involved.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)