Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think parents should know better than to post provocative photos of their children like this on the Internet?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM
  • 21 Replies

Dad Shares Photo of Baby Holding Huge Gun & Dares Us Not to Look (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

baby holding rifleOh baby! Didn't this dad know this photo of his baby would start a ruckus? A gun enthusiast posted a photo of his 6-month-old baby holding a rifle on Facebook, and now everyone is (groan) up in arms over it. Christopher Duffy says he was being perfectly safe about taking the photo and that if we have a problem with the image, that's our problem. He's not forcing us to look at this highly provocative image that's now all over the news and the Internet!

baby rifle

Other people being upset about it? I don’t force their kids to do anything. I don’t force them to do anything. My hand was on it, the bolt was open, it was safety checked. I’m not sure how wide the picture is. She’s clearly in her seat just sitting up, one hand on the scope, one hand on the barrel.

Please. How disingenuous can you get? Seriously? Never mind my own personal response to the photo. Why would you want to put your baby at the center of a furious debate? I think the whole "Whuuut, I'm not forcing you to look at my troll-bait photo" argument is so lame and irresponsible.

Parents, we all know how the Internet works. Don't act so incredulous and defensive when you post a photo of your freakin' BABY holding a GUN when you know full well how polarized America is about guns and children. Set a good example for your kids by being more honest with yourself, responsible for what you put out on the Internet, and protective of what happens to your children's images.

Do you think parents should know better than to post provocative photos of their children like this on the Internet?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I don't like the lax attitude of the parent. To me it speaks loudly of the overall attitude of his gun and his kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Terrible pic. Unreal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the knee jerk reactions.  IF the gun is unloaded it poses LESS danger than a set of keys or a cellphone would. (babies can get lead by chewing on real keys. And breaking the phone would allow the baby to get f=glass shards in their mouth-and a bite could do that.....

Noone blinks at a picture of a baby with  cellphone or a set of keys.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:07 AM

I refuse to let small children play with things like keys, my DH thought I was nuts until this hit the news.

He fully recovered with no damage, but still.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1089309/Pictured-The-American-toddler-got-set-car-keys-lodged-brain---recovered-unscathed.html

Quoting Anonymous:

I love the knee jerk reactions.  IF the gun is unloaded it poses LESS danger than a set of keys or a cellphone would. (babies can get lead by chewing on real keys. And breaking the phone would allow the baby to get f=glass shards in their mouth-and a bite could do that.....

Noone blinks at a picture of a baby with  cellphone or a set of keys.

mjmorrison
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

single shot rifle with the bolt open no round in the ejection port, no more dangerous than a toy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
No way! I'm not anti gun but I'm pro gun safety. My kids are taught to leave guns alone until they can properly handle them. If they want to look at one they need to ask an adult.
This kid would just grab any gun.
pookietooth
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Don't post photos of your kids at all unless you can't see their faces. Here is a link to explain why:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/data_mine_1/2013/09/facebook_privacy_and_kids_don_t_post_photos_of_your_kids_online.html

(also don't name them on the internet)

activitymode
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see anything wrong with it. Not something I'd do, but the gun isn't loaded.

Everyone has to be offended by someone doing something they don't like. It's unreal anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dromani
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:50 AM
My husband and I are gun enthusiasts. We are also "preppers". We would NOT put any weapon in our infants/child hands. They say its safe but would they point it at him/her? If they say yes they're freakin idiots!
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Not only pics but way too much personal info too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)