Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you let your kids watch scary movies?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 121 Replies

I've let my kids watch the cheesy horror stuff since they were little, so they're very familiar with Freddy and Jason (edited-for-TV versions without the sex scenes and stuff), but I only recently let them see Saw and they're teens.

How old are your kids? Do you let them watch scary movies like Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th?
What about ones with more gore and violence like Saw, or psychological horror like The Conjuring?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I do not sensor my kids when it comes to tv or movies. My 5 year olds love horror movies. They will watch anything I do. My oldest boys are all horror movie junkies as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2metalbabies
by Jene on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM
My youngest is 11 and has pretty much seen it all.
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Yea my boys 11 n 2 yr old see it on tv since we do not go out to movie theaters much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 3 and 5.  They cannot watch any movie over PG rating.  I don't have tv channels, but if I did they wouldn't watch anything outside of PBS, disney jr or nick jr. 

They are way too impressionable at that age IMO. 

ms_amanda
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I let my kids watch scary movies. I am careful about which ones though. I don't let them watch extreme gore like saw though. That's a bit much.

My kids wanted to watch the Conjuring so badly. They watched the trailer over and over again. I went and saw it at the theater so I knew how creepy it would be for 7 year olds so I told them no. They begged and pleaded for weeks. They tried hard to prove they were mature enough for it. So, I broke and rented it. They were so freaked out by this movie. At the end, one of my twins just sat there shaking his head saying "you were right mom, this was too scary. You should have never let us watch this. Too scary." LOL we had to watch a funny happy movie right after to calm them down. But they were fine. And I was there to cuddle them. And we put on a family movie in the bedroom so they had the option to go watch it at any point.

I think that allowing kids to watch adult movies is a great way of illustrating that our world is not a wonderful bubbly nick jr society. Kids need to learn this early on. I'm not saying throw saw on for them LOL but pg movies and other adult movies with strong adult themes are great ways of showcasing important topics for discussion with the kids, especially older children. So long as you're right there to explain things and answer questions, and guide their thoughts.

Strong adult styled themes also provoke complicated darker emotions that children will work through. As it's on tv and not real, it's a safe way to explore these feelings and as I'm right there to answer questions, read their emotions by facial/body language, I can ask open ended questions about the topic that will lead to a great discussion. 

I've had cousins that weren't allowed to watch anything except for G rating until they were teens. Then, as teens, still not allowed to watch 18A or R movies. The one cousin in particular has a horrid sense of her surroundings. She trusts anyone that smiles at her. She is a twit as an adult. I honestly worry for her safety and question her sanity. smh

Jessy76
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM

We do the cheesey scarey movies with the youngest as well. She likes them her favorite is Child's Play and Bride of Chuckie she loves Tiffany. LOL!!! She hasn't seen anything like Saw or the Conjuring we try to wait until the youngest goes to bed to watch those. My 18 year olds are huge horror movie fans and have been watching them all their lives.

godsgirl26
by ♥ char ♥ on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM
6 moms liked this
Heck no I don't let my children watch movies like that.
Why? so they can go to bed scared. That's crazy.
polholterheath
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

That stuff is not for kids. They learn enough shit from the other kids at school. Thumbs down

nichole_erin
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM
4 moms liked this
Nope. I don't think young kids need to be putting such dark things in their heads.
maecntpntz219
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

He's 5, so not usually, but once I was watching the movie "Eight Legged Freaks" on TV and my son wandered into the room. I debated changing it but within a minute he was cracking up at the giant spiders. Not sure if he understood they were supposed to be scary lol. Never had any issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)