Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are special needs kids "normal"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 229 Replies
3 moms liked this

I am sooo tired of all the PC crap in the world today.  English is not my strong subject, especially vocabulary. My kids are NORMAL.  I don't really care if it offends any special needs parents. 

Some special needs parents tell me to call norma kids "typical"  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?  

Go to thesaurus.com and look up normal...guess what?  Typical is a synonym (or means the exact same thing) as normal.  Why does it matter if I call my kid normal and special needs kids special needs. 

Parents of special needs kids need to get over themselves. 

BTW - I AM NOT saying all special needs kids are not smart,  some are VERY smart. 

I really want to know what the difference between typical and normal is.  NOTHING!!! 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM
54 moms liked this

There is a difference between the connotation of the two words.

If you say "normal" you are automatically conjuring up images of the opposite, not normal, abnormal, subnormal, whatever.

With "typical" there isn't such a value judgement and you are just stating that they are outside the norm, atypical, nontypical; this can be a good or a bad thing while "abnormal" is nearly always bad.

Op you seem to have her mind made up on this one and hostility is conveyed in your post.

Families dealing with sprecial needs kids go through so much that is unimaginable to others--I think that respecting them and their wishes is little enough to ask.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I still think they mean the same abnormal = atypical IMO 

If SN parents have so much on their plate as it is, why does the word you use for normal kids matter.  Not something to sit and worry about

In my first sentence, I do state that I am tired of all the PC.  I think it is stupid.  There are only 6 "bad" words in my opinion, and they get used WAY more than a description of someone.  I have censored my life so much since having kids, I can't stand watching movies with those words in them anymore. 

I do have some hostility, mostly because I am sick of hearing about how someone gets offended because someone used a certain word.  Whatever, not everyone keeps up on the most recent ok terms to use.  I will call my child normal because she is.  She isn't abnormal.  Right?  There is nothing wrong with that and no one else should take offense on what I call my children. 

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a difference between the connotation of the two words.

If you say "normal" you are automatically conjuring up images of the opposite, not normal, abnormal, subnormal, whatever.

With "typical" there isn't such a value judgement and you are just stating that they are outside the norm, atypical, nontypical, this can be a good or a bad thing while "abnormal" is nearly always bad.

Op you seem to have her mind made up on this one and hostility is conveyed in your post.

Families dealing with sprecial needs kids go through so much that is unimaginable to others--I think that respecting them and their wishes is little enough to ask.

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM
30 moms liked this

I think its best to call people what they want to be called.  I think you are abnormal in your thinking.  It sounds ignorant.  How does it feel to be called abnormal?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I care less if you call me abnormal.  But that is not the point of this post.  My point is if i was to call a normal kid normal I am being a bad guy.  The other post said that means if they are not normal they are abnormal.  That is not what I said.  I am talking about calling my own children and other children like them normal.  Is that really that bad?  Is normal a curse/swear word?  Normal is not offensive.  If it were hot in the summer would you call it normal?  It is an english word.  I use it. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think its best to call people what they want to be called.  I think you are abnormal in your thinking.  It sounds ignorant.  How does it feel to be called abnormal?

mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM
5 moms liked this

the saddest part of it is when parents need to learn words like "neurotypical "because they do not apply to your child. that being said my dd has ehlers -danlos syndrom, a joint defect in the collagen in her joints,leading to chronic pain and arthritis, and coordination difficulties, she is also speech delayed and has spd .she's 4 and very smart, but she's still not potty trained,so she classifys as delayed. she doesnt qualify for an iep at school, despite the fact she does qualify for help elsewhere.in most things she acts like a normal 4 yr old

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM
18 moms liked this
I get tired of the word play too but I never use the word normal to describe any kid because there is no such thing. Everyone is different and therefore there cannot be a normal.
ahappymommy
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM
7 moms liked this

No one is normal, there is no such thing as normal!

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM
18 moms liked this

So in every way your child is "normal"?? 

My son got 100% on his ACT test in math.  Is that normal?

My son has ADHD, he is average height, he is skinny.  My son has blonde hair and blue eyes.  He wet the bed till he was 12.  He doesnt like his little sisters but likes his older sister.  My son made it to the 2nd tier in a state orchestra contest with his viola.  He plays the drums, he never sings.  He took ballet lessons from 2 till 8 and then joined an all boys hip hop dance team.  

Is my son normal to you?  Hes in special ed.  I think he is a normal kid.  I also think the kids in the special ed class that I teach are normal kids.  I think all kids are normal.  Normal to me is broad.  Do you see how though my son has some atypical traits he is "normal"?  His special ed is limited to having an IEP but he is in all advanced classes and in math he is double advanced.  Most parents see their kids as normal.  Depending on the context you are using it may seem that you are calling other kids abnormal by identifying your kid as normal.  

Normal entails the whole child.  Typical describes a trait.  Its the difference between saying "I have a child with diabetes" and "I have a diabetic kid"  My whole child is not defined by her diabetes, it is only  a part of who she is. 

Im guessing you will simply say "who cares, thats not what I mean.' to which I say "then why make a post?"

Quoting Anonymous:

I care less if you call me abnormal.  But that is not the point of this post.  My point is if i was to call a normal kid normal I am being a bad guy.  The other post said that means if they are not normal they are abnormal.  That is not what I said.  I am talking about calling my own children and other children like them normal.  Is that really that bad?  Is normal a curse/swear word?  Normal is not offensive.  If it were hot in the summer would you call it normal?  It is an english word.  I use it. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)