Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are special needs kids "normal"?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am sooo tired of all the PC crap in the world today.  English is not my strong subject, especially vocabulary. My kids are NORMAL.  I don't really care if it offends any special needs parents. 

Some special needs parents tell me to call norma kids "typical"  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?  

Go to thesaurus.com and look up normal...guess what?  Typical is a synonym (or means the exact same thing) as normal.  Why does it matter if I call my kid normal and special needs kids special needs. 

Parents of special needs kids need to get over themselves. 

BTW - I AM NOT saying all special needs kids are not smart,  some are VERY smart. 

I really want to know what the difference between typical and normal is.  NOTHING!!! 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Replies (221-229):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Apr. 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM

This did upset me I am a mom of "special needs kids and saying my kid is not normal or something like that hurt and for my kids who are smart it hurts more"  Why cant we special needs family have the respect that we give you.  Why do you have to get but hurt when all we are asking for is acceptance and understanding.    And I agree with below.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a difference between the connotation of the two words.

If you say "normal" you are automatically conjuring up images of the opposite, not normal, abnormal, subnormal, whatever.

With "typical" there isn't such a value judgement and you are just stating that they are outside the norm, atypical, nontypical; this can be a good or a bad thing while "abnormal" is nearly always bad.

Op you seem to have her mind made up on this one and hostility is conveyed in your post.

Families dealing with sprecial needs kids go through so much that is unimaginable to others--I think that respecting them and their wishes is little enough to ask.

elk571
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM
What words can I not form exactly? Unless you're referring to the abbreviation of be to b and are to r, etc everything in the reply is a formed word, and I just do that to save time when I'm mobile- picky much? Bc bum hole is a word lol. Btw, if words r 'interchangeable' they would also b similar, it still doesn't mean they have to b or necessarily r always exactly the same!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Okay. I am going to assume that since you can't even form words that you are just talking out of your bumhole. 

The literal definition of the word NORMAL is "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected. The word normal literally means TYPICAL.  They aren't synonyms (well I suppose they could be as they are interchangable). They are the EXACT SAME THING. 

Quoting elk571: Sorry, but while I agree w/ the PC stuff that has gotten out of hand lately, I disagree w/ this. Look up the word synonym in ur dictionary; it does NOT mean 'the same thing', it means a SIMILAR word, not exactly the same. That would be like saying black and white and Caucasian and African American r the same. They're not. One refers to the supposed color of a skin while the other refers to ancestral roots. R they similar? Absolutely, but they r not the same. This is y the English language has so many more words than most other languages. The intent is to b able to get across the exact point of what you mean, and word choice is an important part of that. If the extra words weren't necessary and had an EXACT same meaning as another word we wouldn't have so many words- including synonyms- at all!

nymom2011
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM
The thing is that the word "normal" is so objective. Societal rules, personal experiences, and cultural traditions define what is considered "normal" within a specific society. What you consider "normal", may be totally abnormal to someone else. So to call your kid normal is being prejudicial to your children. Are your kids really truly "normal"? Normal to what, society, school, teachers, you? Honestly, no one is NORMAL. We are unique, in personality, abilities, looks, quirks, etc. so, calling your child normal is not only a disservice to your child, but to everyone they come in contact with in their lives. And what if, down the line, you find out that they end up having special needs? How traumatic it's going to be that they are not normal by YOUR definition of what normal is? I understand that you are just frustrated about the PC stuff, but it's here to stay. Remember, society called minorities "not normal" at one time too, but we now know that is definitely not the case. IMHO, all of these labels should be discontinued anyway. We are all unique in our own way. By the way, I never call my child special needs ever. My kid is unique and I will never constrain him to one label or another. Would you define Einstein as special needs? I don't think so, even though he was.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree OP.  I have an ADHD kid who is also a kid with ADHD.  The specifics make no difference to me.  My kid is normal to me.  He may not be normal to others, but I'm not talking about others.  And if I were, and they were what I believe to be "normal", that's how I would describe them. 

Many people in my opinion, are far, far, too sensitive. They need to concentrate on their own lives and stop worrying themselves about mine and most of all, my vocabulary. 

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I'm special needs and so is my brother. We are not normal or typical, compared to other children. That is a simple fact. That is what special needs means. Not normal.

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I agree. 

Quoting Anonymous: This whole word game is ridiculous. My kids are normal, and that's how I refer to them. If that offends the feelings of a mother of a SN kid, oh well. Some of them seem to be turning in to more sensitive little snowflakes than their children.

fairymaid23
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM
i agree
morgiefae
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

valkay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Not normal but what is normal? My oldest is legally blind is he normal? Or abnormal , special needs or especially needy? The whole word thing really kinda pisses me off. No matter what you call someone does not define them.. After time some people get upset about a term and decide it is offensive and we need to change the term.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN