Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

2-Year-Old Suspended From Daycare for Bringing Cheese Sandwich to School?!

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 39 Replies

2-Year-Old Suspended From Daycare for Bringing Cheese Sandwich to School

by Ericka Sóuter

allergyChildren's food allergies are no joke. As the parent of a child who is allergic to nuts, I appreciate the fact my son's school is nut-free. I think it's wonderful that classrooms across the country take the health threat seriously. However, even I have to admit that some schools take things too far. Case in point: a daycare in Ottawa suspended a 2-year-old for three days because she was in possession of a cheese sandwich. The situation is even more ridiculous once you learn the details.

Like most parents, Randy Murray is desperate to get food into his kids' tummies every morning. When 2-year-old Faith didn't finish the cheese sandwich she was eating for breakfast, he allowed her to continue to munch on it on the way to school. At some point, the little girl shoved it into her pocket, and in the rush of things, dad forgot all about it. 

A problem arose when a teacher spotted the culinary contraband as they entered the school. She promptly handed it back to Murray, and he was told his little girl would be suspended for three days as a result. He thought it was a joke at first, but administrators weren't kidding. The school has a strict "no outside food" policy, and even though this was an honest mistake, they are not budging on the penalty.

Murray understands that the policy is in place to protect kids with allergies, which he can appreciate, but wishes they had handled the situation differently. He says a warning that she would be suspended if this happened again would have been more appropriate. I have to say, I agree with him. For one thing, it was clearly accidental. For another, the child is 2 and made a mistake that is completely age-appropriate.

Now if it were a high-schooler, then maybe more serious action should be taken. And what purpose does the suspension serve? It only seems to harm the little girl, who doesn’t even really understand what she did wrong. Major FAIL on the part of this school.

Click here for video

Do you think the school acted too harshly or did this family get what it deserved?

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Move to a new daycare, and WHY is this on the news??
Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
That is stupid.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
It actually really hurt the patents since they will probably have to find alternate child care for the next 3 days...

I did this a bit ridiculous.

I get the no outside food policy, but confiscate it an throw it away. Don't kick the kid out.
artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

My kid has deadly food allergies, but really?

That is really stupid; take the food away and wash the kids hands and face and move on and ask the parent to please be more careful next time since it can hurt a kid, but other than that...

I would move my kid to another place.

seraphimsong
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM
This is beyond stupid
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Stupid and I would take my kid some where else !

mom_dl6
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM

WOW i say find a new Daycare. Should have just pulled him aside made mention of it. Then been done with the issue instead of making her leave. 

GertieK
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Is anyone really surprised about this?  Really?  Our country has gone so far off of the deep end on PC, etc.... this is nothing unusual.  Weird.... kids survived in schools for years without the whole school catering to anyone and everyone's allergies.  Heck, I didn't know one single kid allergic to nuts or cheese growing up.  If they were, they certainly didn't expect everyone else to give up on cheese or nuts for their benefit.  We have truly gotten stupid and ridiculous about this kind of crap, and it really only hurts the kids.  It amazes me how minority portions of the population control the entire population.  Backassards.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM
I just bet there is more to the story. He probably has a history of not following rules. This one is a serious one. He needed to be more carefull. This is why its a policy that children who eat on the way to daycare must be cleaned before entering. I'm sure if he cleaned his daughter off and took the time to pay attention he would have noticed.

I'm sure many will not understand. You really can't unless you are in the circumstance and you are the one liable for many children. Rules are rules. They are there for a reason.
snowangel1979
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM
My guess is this eather isn't the first time this has happened or they have a history of breaking other daycares policies.

Usually It's their side, the other side and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)