Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Uhhh Seriously?!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
Let me ask, how have you moms potty trained your child? Which method worked? Do you agree with using physical force by spanking or hitting with a stick to potty train? Well, I have a sil and she lives in a different state. Her child was fully potty trained just before she turned 2 years old. I always thought you had to make potty training enjoyable and give lots of praise for trying, and obviously train the child when they are ready. That's when later on I randomly found out that she threatened and used physical force to teach her child to use the potty. I really had no idea, because she never told me how she really did it. I felt as if it wasn't right to use this way of potty traing your baby. I don't even know how she was able to do that to such a small child. She claimed it worked and got her child off diapers. I don't know if that's how I would want to train my child. I have been using the when you're ready method and he's used the toilet several times and have tried being encouraging at times.
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM
That's sad for her child.
stargaze281
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM
bump
stargaze281
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM
bump
nana776
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Those poor kids! I can't imagine the kids confusion when suddenly they are being spanked for doing something that up until then was considered perfectly ok.

I always thought it was just  going to take a while to convince them that this was not ok anymore. Now when they got bigger and had deliberate "accidents" they got a punishment, but that sfter they had been trained for quite a while.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Haven't I seen a post with this exact working before? Maybe I am wrong?
stargaze281
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:14 AM
umm, what do you mean?

Quoting Anonymous: Haven't I seen a post with this exact working before? Maybe I am wrong?
silverthreads
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM

There should never be any punishment around this issue.  Using a toilet is simply a skill we teach children when their body can master it.

RitaTequila531
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Quoting silverthreads:

There should never be any punishment around this issue.  Using a toilet is simply a skill we teach children when their body can master it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I had 3 boys so ultimately it was daddy that did the demonstration of what to do. I would place them on their potty at different times when I knew they should have to "go". Ultimately we wasted money on potty chairs because all 3 HATED them and refused to use them. They learned on the big people commode and that was that. People have to remember children are all lil individuals and will grow and learn at their own pace.fingers crossed

myempyreofdirt
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Personally I think that method is abusive. Kids don't learn anything else on a precise schedule, so why would potty training be any different. They need to be ready and develop an interest just like other milestones. I'm not sure what we'll do with ds, but spanking and punishment won't be part of it. I'll clap and cheer like I always do when he's working on a new skill.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)