Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe
Let me ask, how have you moms potty trained your child? Which method worked? Do you agree with using physical force by spanking or hitting with a stick to potty train? Well, I have a sil and she lives in a different state. Her child was fully potty trained just before she turned 2 years old. I always thought you had to make potty training enjoyable and give lots of praise for trying, and obviously train the child when they are ready. That's when later on I randomly found out that she threatened and used physical force to teach her child to use the potty. I really had no idea, because she never told me how she really did it. I felt as if it wasn't right to use this way of potty traing your baby. I don't even know how she was able to do that to such a small child. She claimed it worked and got her child off diapers. I don't know if that's how I would want to train my child. I have been using the when you're ready method and he's used the toilet several times and have tried being encouraging at times.
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Replies (11-14):
Aramat34
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM

First of all I didn't "train" my son. He had to "learn " to use the potty. Why people make such a big deal over this is beyond me. Stickers and rewards, hitting or threats not cool.

I put a potty down for my son at 7 months and guess what? He peed on it! So, I did it again in about 20- 30 minutes and he peed again. So, I kept doing that.  He was out of diapers by one.

If you freak your kid out they will never want to do it. Every kid is different and potty learning should be approached that way.

What worked for me was Elimination Communication. I watched my son for the "signs" that he had to go and I put him on the potty. We missed sometimes but whatever, he was LEARNING.

http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

LillyStarky
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Poor kid. No child should have to go through that. I potty trained my son about 2 years old. Took 3 days. Taped a folder to the bathroom wall and while he went potty we would look at the stickers he had won for going potty. When he was done we added another sticker if he went so we could look the next time he needed to go.
JTE11
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Well, a child is eventually going to be potty trained. Nobody goes to college in diapers, so I'm not worried about it. My DD is three and will use the potty if she is naked from the waist down. When she has anything on like a diaper or even underwear she will just go in them. She doesn't stay dry for a couple of hours or through the night ot a nap. So I think she's somewhat ready, somewhat not. I am not hot and heavy potty training her,  I am just letting her train herself, basically. I put her in no pants once per day and set the potty out for her, and that's it. She goes or she doesn't. Some days she goes several times, some days none and I'm not worrying about it. But never ever would I use threats or physical force to potty train her, that's ridiculous. It's all positive potty training here. How awful I would be if I was punishing her for something she isn't completely ready for yet. That's like beating your kid because you want them to learn how to walk and they aren't yet, it makes no sense.

prettygirl326
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM

that is terrible is sad....i don't agree with that at all. if i so much yell at my child, it takes a toll. eventually, it seems like it's working, but all she did was create scars for life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)