Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

iPhones and public assistance.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 486 Replies
14 moms liked this
Why does everyone make such a huge deal about this. iPhones are expensive but no one pays full price for them. We got ours with our upgrades. So what? So we spent 100 bucks, not each, for both of us to have iPhones. Just because we get assistance we can't buy ourselves anything at all, ever?
And yes I'm posing anon because I'm sure I'll get bashed and told off but I just don't understand what the big deal is. Now if we were going out all the time, buying this and that, new cars, new clothes, then yes I can see that pissing someone off, but spending 100 bucks once a year...why such a fuss?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybugchick317
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
4 moms liked this

Ours came free with our 2 year plan

KJST1982
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM
9 moms liked this
I receive SSDI, food stamps, state and govt insurance, have 3 children and have an iPhone. My parents bought it for me, and I'm lucky enough to have great parents who pay the bill every month.
dandylynes
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I could very easily be on welfare if I was the only income bringer, so I guess my answer is somewhat relevent.  My office pays for my Smart Phone and I don't pay for any of the bills regarding it.  That could be a possibility with some other users.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM
3 moms liked this
See exactly. I don't know anyone who actually paid 5-600 dollars for thier iPhone. We certainly wouldn't have them if had to pay full price for them. People are always saying stuff like, " that woman is using foodstamps and has an iPhone", so what. You don't know how she got it.

Quoting ladybugchick317:

FelineTopic
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM
10 moms liked this
Don't you know that if you are on pa, you aren't allowed a cell phone. Nor is anybody else allowed to buy you a phone or taking care of the bill for you when you are on fs, as they should be helping you out with groceries and such.....

Totally kidding, of course....

Don't you just love CM logic?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM
10 moms liked this

It is $100 once a year or every other year,  but also the cost each month for service.  That pisses me off.  That could be food for the month.  OH, but you would rather use food stamps instead.  I can afford at i phone and do not have one. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM
But we'd have cell phones, whether they be iPhones or not, whether on PA or not. We need our cell phones. And how do you know how much a month someone pays. There are prepaid plans with smartphones that are pretty cheap. Again, you can't assume anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is $100 once a year or every other year,  but also the cost each month for service.  That pisses me off.  That could be food for the month.  OH, but you would rather use food stamps instead.  I can afford at i phone and do not have one. 

ladybugchick317
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

My sil and brother are on assistance and they have iphones but those are on her mother's plan so they didn't have to pay for them either. People are quick to judge without knowing anything.

Quoting Anonymous: See exactly. I don't know anyone who actually paid 5-600 dollars for thier iPhone. We certainly wouldn't have them if had to pay full price for them. People are always saying stuff like, " that woman is using foodstamps and has an iPhone", so what. You don't know how she got it.
Quoting ladybugchick317:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM

We got our iphones ree when we signed up with verizon

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM
9 moms liked this

Prepaid plans are still money.  Money is money that could be used for needs, not wants.  Never gonna agree with you on this one.  I do know the govt pays from taxpayers for some plans as well.  This really pisses me off. 

Quoting Anonymous: But we'd have cell phones, whether they be iPhones or not, whether on PA or not. We need our cell phones. And how do you know how much a month someone pays. There are prepaid plans with smartphones that are pretty cheap. Again, you can't assume anything.
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)