Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this incident of public shaming make you think twice about breastfeeding in public?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM
  • 31 Replies

Stranger Takes Photo of Mom Breastfeeding & Turns It into Something Disgusting

by Adriana Velez

breastfeedingYou're out on a beautiful, sunny day with your baby. You stop and sit for a sandwich, and realize someone else is also hungry. So you decide to breastfeed your child, discreetly of course, thanks to your stretchy t-shirt. This is how Emily Slough innocently spent an afternoon. Little did she know, a stranger photographed her breastfeeding her 8-month-old daughter Matilda and then posted the photo on Facebook with a nasty caption: "I know the sun is out n all that but there's no need to let your kid feast on your nipple in town!!! Tramp." Honestly, what is wrong with people?

Tramp?!? You can't even see so much as an inch of skin. In fact, the only way you can even tell she's breastfeeding is from the position of Matilda's head. Slough was outraged, of course.

The mentality of the individual that attempted to shame me for feeding my daughter makes me so angry. I am very confident and comfortable with my breastfeeding, but I know plenty who aren't and don't even humour the idea of nursing because of some ridiculous stigma attached to it and fear of embarrassment, humiliation and non-acceptance.

Even the owner of the restaurant, where Slough was seated outside on the steps, was embarrassed on her behalf. He suspects the photo was taken by a young man who looked to be 18 years old. "It's some idiot with a phone," says Gavin Houston. Is it pathetic that I'm relieved this was probably some ignorant kid at least, and not a prudish adult or -- God forbid -- another mom?

Anyway, I was completely creeped out by this incident. All the times I've breastfed my son in a public space it never occurred to me that a stranger could snap a photo. And post it online. With some horrible, crude comment! It would be easy for anyone to hear this story and be shamed into never breastfeeding in public, ever.

But then, it kind of makes you feel defiant, too. Right? Like, no creepy little twerp is going to keep me from feeding my baby wherever I want to! (Not me literally -- my kid is 10 now. But you get what I mean.) I hope that's the reaction most breastfeeding moms have when they hear about this public shaming; The only person who should be ashamed is the kid who posted that photo.

Would this incident of public shaming make you think twice about breastfeeding in public?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

It is ridiculous to shame someone, but how hard it is to pull your shirt down to cover some or use a light blanket or diaper?  Most I see do this.  I think the ones that are totally exposed with their shirt up around their neck want the attention to make a statement.  I can do this. 

AmyG1976
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

No I think there is something majorly wrong with the person who took the pic and posted all that prob needs more than a little mental help...

AmyG1976
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

It is ridiculous to shame someone, but how hard it is to pull your shirt down to cover some or use a light blanket or diaper?  Most I see do this.  I think the ones that are totally exposed with their shirt up around their neck want the attention to make a statement.  I can do this. 

. Umm granted it sounds easy enough to put a blanket over babies head but babies dont often go for that the blanket gets pulled tossed ect babies hold it and push it up and down and pull.  You can wrap one around the baby and that usually works but again not always. I have never though seen someone with a shirt up to there neck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I owuld contact Facebook and tel them it was me in the photo and it was unauthorized. They should pull it then.

mustbeGRACE
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't make people have to be around your  naked breast or we will assume you are a voyeur or that you don't get enough attention at home.

It's not surprising to me that women have this kind of attitude these days. Selfish and attention-seeking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Quoting AmyG1976:

Quoting Anonymous:

. Umm granted it sounds easy enough to put a blanket over babies head but babies dont often go for that the blanket gets pulled tossed ect babies hold it and push it up and down and pull.  You can wrap one around the baby and that usually works but again not always. I have never though seen someone with a shirt up to there neck

I have never seen a baby pull the blanket off.  Guess you have seen different. 

GhettoKoolAide
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I have big boobs and my son refused the blanket. I covered as much as possible but since the whores walking down the street with coochie cutters and halter tops cut down to their belt buttons walk around with no issue. I didnt see it as a problem.

Quoting Anonymous:

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like an immature punk that made the comment. I'd continue to nip.
VinVanMom
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd have him arrested. 

AmyG1976
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AmyG1976:

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never seen a baby pull the blanket off.  Guess you have seen different. 

experenced just seeing someone once or twice or not paying attn maybe not see it . I dont think I have ever seen it but I KNOW it happens I have seen babies playing griping the blanket I have had babies yank it right down push my shirt up higher and higher granted I then hold there hand and push shirt back but it happens. thats what they are for. I see more boob on tv tring to be sexual than a mom just trying to feed a baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)