Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My son is a sissy. How do I help him?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 146 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is 6 years old. He is scared of EVERYTHING. The dark, strange noises, the possibility of fire and flood, spiders, and being alone (even just in his room while DH and I are downstairs). He cries over every tiny thing. He throws fits if plans change. He thinks he's dying if he gets even a small cut and sees blood. DH and I are not like that at all. We live up in a small town in the mountains. This is a big hunting/camping/off road town. Our son can't handle any of that. He has to sleep with two night lights, all his stuffed animals, and still carries around a blankie. What do we do? We don't want him to get bullied and laughed at his whole life because he's such a wuss but we also don't want him to feel bad for who he is.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

sealed lip

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM
16 moms liked this
Probably shouldn't call him names first off but, he sounds like he has an anxiety disorder. Maybe time for a doctor visit? Counselor, something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM
I would never call him that or any other name to his face. I'm worried about him being bullied. Kind of counter productive to BE the bully. Figured I should make the title as short as possible. Thanks for the advice. We've tried counseling when he was younger and it seemed to make him more anxious. We refuse to medicate him for an anxiety disorder at age 6.

Quoting Anonymous: Probably shouldn't call him names first off but, he sounds like he has an anxiety disorder. Maybe time for a doctor visit? Counselor, something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Ocd, anxiety. He needs help medically.
ingrid198
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM

i agree... he may have some anxiety and ocd things changing upsetting him for instance, my sister had some of these symptoms. I used to be anxious as a child driving in the car, social anxiety when i was 18 i started having full blown panic attacks and id feel like i was literally dying. I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder and looking back the signs were there it just hadnt been fully triggered yet. I would speak to his dr and seek a counselor, they can help with "coping" methods and he may need meds when he is older. good luck

hotcrosspuns
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM
8 moms liked this
Maybe he has anxiety because his parents think he's a sissy. my God.

Some kids are more sensitive than others, and that's just how they are. Be sensitive to these quirks yourself, and don't shove him into uncomfortable situations to "man up". Be gentle, slowly show him things aren't scary. If he doesn't like it, leave it be. Be gentle. Don't call him names for God's sake.

I wonder if you'd be this concerned if he was a girl?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM
4 moms liked this
Hey thanks for reading my previous reply and giving such awesome advice. There's this great documentary on Netflix about kids just like mine. One of them shoots himself when he's 12 because he gets picked on so much. So as much as I would love to just embrace his quirks and turn him into a Bronie, I'd rather see him live past his pre teen and teen years without ending up in a hospital or morgue. No. I wouldn't care if he was a girl and acting like this. Wake up and smell society lady. We don't all live in the land of weed and rainbows and in some places men are still expected to act like men. Jesus Christ.

Quoting hotcrosspuns: Maybe he has anxiety because his parents think he's a sissy. my God.

Some kids are more sensitive than others, and that's just how they are. Be sensitive to these quirks yourself, and don't shove him into uncomfortable situations to "man up". Be gentle, slowly show him things aren't scary. If he doesn't like it, leave it be. Be gentle. Don't call him names for God's sake.

I wonder if you'd be this concerned if he was a girl?
Ally_Oop
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh, gosh! A very sensitive soul. Perhaps ease him into new experiences gradually - once he sees that there is nothing to fear, he will hopefully come round and find his confidence. It isn't an easy subject at all. Life will toughen him up, I'm sure. He is still very, very young.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM
punch him in the chest and tell him to man up
Ally_Oop
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous: punch him in the chest and tell him to man up

Well, some people have more to deal with than others...I think, though, that we're living in a more understanding society now.

Remember he is only six, and could grow out of this completely.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN