Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Horrible Insomnia

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I have a 3 year old and 15 month old. Since my youngest was 3 months I developed awful insomnia. I can't sleep without a sleep aid and I can't stay asleep. I always wake up through the night and can't sleep past 6 am. Has anyone had this happen to them? Docs put me on stupid antidepressant for anxiety but I'm not depressed or anxious. I just can't sleep! I don't drink coffee late I have a fan etc etc. I'm so at my wits end.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM
No one?!
Mishy2
by Michelle on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no I hope you are able to get some sleep soon.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried a bath or shower before bed-a really hot as you can stand one? My daughter claims she can't go to sleep without either a shower or a bath(not both LOL). Is is perhaps you fear the little ones might wake up & you won't know it cause you are sleeping?  Do you drink soda or iced tea-both have caffeine in them or some sodas & teas have ginseng in them too that might keep you awake.Try reading a real boring book. These are things that have helped me. Although I do use meds for anxiety & depression at night & in the morning. Also check with your pharmacist or MD maybe the meds they are giving you have the opposite effect on you-some do if you don't have anxiety or depression. Also I recently gave up iced tea because even with meds I was not sleeping well.

silverthreads
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Get a second medical opinion.  Have a set routine for bed every night and a consistent bedtime.  My niece drinks sleepytime tea every night and does deep breathing relaxation when she gets into bed.  I drink warm milk when I wake during the night which isn't too often any more (fingers crossed!).  I also keep a pad of paper and a pen near my bed so I can write down things that are going through my head and remember to address them in the morning.  GL! 

kidkrazyinAK
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Try vitamin D...works wonders for me.

kidkrazyinAK
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Low D goofs up sleep.

Most of the neu­ro­log­i­cal prob­lems my patients have are not directly related to D hor­mone, they are related to the fact that D hor­mone defi­ciency causes sleep dis­or­ders; insom­nia, sleep apnea, REM related apnea, unex­plained awak­en­ings to light sleep, inap­pro­pri­ate body move­ments dur­ing sleep. All of these dis­or­ders keep us from heal­ing our bod­ies dur­ing sleep. When the sleep improves the headaches, seizures, tremor, back pain, bal­ance dif­fi­cul­ties, depres­sion, mem­ory loss, etc. all get bet­ter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Vitamin D never thought about that, that makes sense! I'm always indoors, thanks!

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

Low D goofs up sleep.

Most of the neu­ro­log­i­cal prob­lems my patients have are not directly related to D hor­mone, they are related to the fact that D hor­mone defi­ciency causes sleep dis­or­ders; insom­nia, sleep apnea, REM related apnea, unex­plained awak­en­ings to light sleep, inap­pro­pri­ate body move­ments dur­ing sleep. All of these dis­or­ders keep us from heal­ing our bod­ies dur­ing sleep. When the sleep improves the headaches, seizures, tremor, back pain, bal­ance dif­fi­cul­ties, depres­sion, mem­ory loss, etc. all get bet­ter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Thanks so much for responding, I really appreciate it. All excellent advice, my insomnia is profound, no med works. I've tried teas and rituals and all that... It's very scary :(

Quoting silverthreads:

Get a second medical opinion.  Have a set routine for bed every night and a consistent bedtime.  My niece drinks sleepytime tea every night and does deep breathing relaxation when she gets into bed.  I drink warm milk when I wake during the night which isn't too often any more (fingers crossed!).  I also keep a pad of paper and a pen near my bed so I can write down things that are going through my head and remember to address them in the morning.  GL! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Thanks so much, also all great advice. Never thought that perhaps they could have the opposite effect... Could be, thanks!

Quoting fudgybuddymom:

Have you tried a bath or shower before bed-a really hot as you can stand one? My daughter claims she can't go to sleep without either a shower or a bath(not both LOL). Is is perhaps you fear the little ones might wake up & you won't know it cause you are sleeping?  Do you drink soda or iced tea-both have caffeine in them or some sodas & teas have ginseng in them too that might keep you awake.Try reading a real boring book. These are things that have helped me. Although I do use meds for anxiety & depression at night & in the morning. Also check with your pharmacist or MD maybe the meds they are giving you have the opposite effect on you-some do if you don't have anxiety or depression. Also I recently gave up iced tea because even with meds I was not sleeping well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)