Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Kristin Cavallari Won't Vaccinate Son Out of Autism Fear -- Is She Being Irrational?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 26 Replies

Kristin Cavallari Won't Vaccinate Son Out of Autism Fear -- Is She Being Irrational?

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

kristin cavallariIt's natural for moms and dads to question any and all medical decisions they make when it involves their children. We parents want to make sure we're doing the very best for our kids, particularly when it comes to their health. Hence, the vaccination debate.

For years now (or ever since Jenny McCarthy spoke out on her belief that there was a connection between vaccinations and autism?), parents have divided themselves into two groups: The group that vaccinates (or delays vaccinations/skips a few vaccinations), and the group who doesn't at all. Soon-to-be-mom-of-two Kristen Cavallari falls into the latter category. Recently during an interview, Cavallari admit that she never vaccinated her son Camden out of fear that the immunizations will cause autism.

During an appearance on Fox Business show The Independents, Cavallari said, "You know what, I've read too many books about autism. There is a pediatric group called Homestead or, shoot, Homestead or Home First -- now I have pregnancy brain, I got them confused -- but they've never vaccinated any of their children and they've never had one case of autism. And now, one in 88 boys is autistic, which is a really scary statistic."

The reporter responded, "Well, my mom vaccinated us, and she doesn't have any cases of autism either. Isn't that weird?"

"But the vaccinations have changed over the years," Cavallari replied. "There's more mercury and other [stuff]..."

Cavallari, naturally, received critism for her comments, and she's since said, "To each their own. It's our decision and that's the end of the story."

Hmm ... Of course moms and dads have a right to parent the way they feel most comfortable, but is it really "to each their own" when it comes to vaccinations? I don't think anyone wants nearly eradicated diseases to resurface, like measles currently are. I don't anyone wants to live in a society with polio and small pox? It's been proven over and over again that autism is not caused by vaccinations (the Autism Speaks website even states this).

There's something a little uncomfortable about forcing parents to vaccinate their children, though, at some point, it may come to this. Perhaps another option is to better education people on the subject, to show that autism isn't caused by immunizations? Maybe it's naive to think, but it seems like less people would opt out of vaccinations if they knew the facts.

Because, even though I respect Cavallari's "to each their own" attitude, I'm not 100% convinced she's got all of her information straight.

What do you think of Kristin Cavallari's comments? Do you vax your kids?

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
She can do what she wants but there is no correlation. Sad more and more diseases will rear its ugly head.
Randi02
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I don't vaccinate, but autism is not one of my reasons for not doing so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

She sounds like an uneducated idiot.  

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Everyone is different and it is her choice thats the great thing about living in America ladies !

littlepinkrose
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
She needs to get her facts right. Now instead of talking to there doctors or doing there own research some moms are going to be following Kristins lead and not getting there kids vaxxed and say it's because we don't want them to be autistic. I don't care what a parent chooses to do but if you are going to state your reasons have your facts in place. Make sure your information is accurate. Since 2001 with the exception of the flu vaccine there is no longer mercury in the regular childhood vaccines. Also the doctor who said that autism was caused by vaccines said he manipulated his study and was barred from practicing as a physician. Proven fact autism is not caused by vaccines.
MWright02
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Let her figure that out (GOD FORBID) if her son dies from an illness or disease that could have been prevented if he had the vaccination. I dont like my kids getting shots but i know its best for them. My oldest had the ROTA VIRUS and was hospitalized many times and now they have drops to prevent it from happening. Also he had a lot of ear infections (sucks cause not much you can do for them there) now they have vaccines and Chicken Pox i had it when i was young and it sucked balls my uncle has SHINGLES now because of it and he is in a lot of pain they have vaccines for that now too. I will do whatever it takes to keep my kids healthy and safe even when it comes to doing things i doknt really want to do.

SH!t theres a ton of side effects for taking motrin or tylonal is she going to cut that out to. Or forbid cell phones cause there suppose to cause cancer just like soda and just about everything else.

Randi02
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Vaccines don't cause autism, but in certain individuals, they may act as an environmental trigger.

Hannah Poling is a very public example of that.

Quoting littlepinkrose: She needs to get her facts right. Now instead of talking to there doctors or doing there own research some moms are going to be following Kristins lead and not getting there kids vaxxed and say it's because we don't want them to be autistic. I don't care what a parent chooses to do but if you are going to state your reasons have your facts in place. Make sure your information is accurate. Since 2001 with the exception of the flu vaccine there is no longer mercury in the regular childhood vaccines. Also the doctor who said that autism was caused by vaccines said he manipulated his study and was barred from practicing as a physician. Proven fact autism is not caused by vaccines.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

If you look at the number of autistic kids, the number of kids with allergies, asthma, and god knows what else these days, the numbers have gone up as our poor kid's bodies have been bombarded with more and more crap earlier and earlier.  Their poor little bodies just kind of don't know what to do with all of it.  Our bodies were designed to develope immunities against disease.  When we try to artificially replace what we really don't understand, and push diseases and terrible chemicals into our kid's bodies through a needle, is it any wonder that every other kid I know has some kind of allergy, etc.  For one thing, the natural path that diseases take into our bodies are not through needles.  It is scary to think that teeny babies who are so brand new are being stuffed to the gills with all kinds of diseases at one time. 

Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not related but people won't pay attention to that. I'm not vaccinated and I'm on the spectrum. My kids are vaccinated and only one is on the spectrum. But that's because we know our autism is genetic. My great-uncle also has it and my cousins show tendencies.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM
I completely agree when the author states parents should better educate themselves about vaccines. Unfortunately, the drug/vaccine makers don't want that.

I used to be 100% pro vax, no excuses until my child almost died because of the vaccines and a family members child died within 24 hours of getting his first set of shots at 9 months. (the doctor "allowed" them to delay) Now I'm pro-education. It's not my choice to say someone should or shouldn't vax their child but they should be educated on vaccines both pros and cons.

It will never come to the point were they will 100% force parents without some exemption because they will not have the unvaxers to blame.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)