Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Finding a babysitter

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I moved back in August and still have yet to find a babysitter. I don't live near any friends or family so I don't have anyone to ask.

I have tried Care.com and found one girl that babysat a few times, but she couldn't handle three kids and sometimes would just "forget" to show up! So I stopped using her.

I tried sitterscity.com, because my BIL uses it and found an great sitter, but it cost so much and after paying for care.com and not finding anyone I don't want to pay for another sitter site.

I'm so scared to use craigslist.com! Don't even want to go there...

I tried talking to some girls from the near by high school, but none of them were interested. I found a few girls in the near by college who are interested, but they are about to study abroad....

I did find one person who could sit for me, but she wants $16 an hour for the first child and then the price goes up per child per hour... I have three kids and I cant afford to pay someone about $20 an hour! Can anyone else do that? Am I just cheap? (I'm live in CA so maybe that's why its so expensive, but I looked up on a website that the normal hourly wage in my area is 10.00 I think she wants that much because shes a teacher between jobs right now and she says she does all this fun stuff with them, doesnt just sit them in front of the tv)

How do you go about finding a sitter? Is there something I'm missing?

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
silverthreads
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I do care through care.com and it is expensive especially for three children, but I know a couple of young moms who joined meetup.com to find moms' groups/play groups and then networked with those moms to learn of sitters.  One also takes turns with another mom and they babysit each other's kids so they each can get to doctor appointments and such.  You also might stop into some local churches to find resources.  GL

JJJMommyKris
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Look for a local mom's group on Facebook and ask for recommendations.
Mishy2
by Michelle on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I have done this and I have also used a buy and sell website we have locally.. Lots of ads for babysitting on there. Maybe there is something similar in your area? 

Quoting JJJMommyKris: Look for a local mom's group on Facebook and ask for recommendations.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

mommyof3832
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Or side is our next door neighbor. She's been sitting for us for 3 years. My girlfriend she uses Facebook. She's found a couple of decent ones.
mommyof3832
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Sorry mobile I didn't check my auto correct before posting. Our sitter is our neighbor.

Quoting mommyof3832: Or side is our next door neighbor. She's been sitting for us for 3 years. My girlfriend she uses Facebook. She's found a couple of decent ones.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Find a karate school.  Go in and ask if they have a bulletin board or speak to an instructor.  Martial Arts students make great babysitters.  Ask for a black belt female. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Our friends babysit. We didn't go out to places that we'd need a sitter for the whole first year we were here. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN