Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

BABY LED WEANING?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM
  • 24 Replies

My Son is almost 6 months old, and I am starting to introduce foods. He seems very interested when I eat, but has not been a fan of anything I have tried to offer (accept an orange slice, which I know he shouldn't have a lot of) and avacado mashed with some of my breast milk. I am wondering what kinds of foods I should let him try if I am aiming to let him wean himself? Can he have uncooked carrot sticks to chew on, apple slices? Does everything I offer him need to be cooked to mushyness to avoid choking? I am having a pretty hard time understanding the baby led weaning, because he seems interested in everything I am eating, but I see a lot of it as a choking hazard! Let me know some foods you let you baby try, besides the pureed foods, and let me know how it went for you!!!!!! =)

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsKing0511
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM

* ALMOST 6.5 MONTHS OLD!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
That young only pureed foods. You can wait on solids. Formula or breast milk is best for now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I would said pureed foods, veggies and those things.

Your baby might not like anything at the begining, but keep feeding him those until he'll get used to them.

my dd didn't like any at the begining, not eats almost anything

Artist1990
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM

He just needs to get use to things...the world of tastes is large and he's only had one thing. Keep puréed veggies and fruits in mind. Definitely not any of the baby cereals, they are extremely unhealthy. I would look up some natural organic baby foods. That's the best route.

MrsKing0511
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Thanks =) I felt rushed to start him on baby foods by some other Moms I know, but I think that un until a year, those things are just for experimenting.

Katt709
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM
We started my now 8 month old at 6 months. I did spoon feed mashed avocado and mashed bananas. Then I decided I wanted to do baby led weaning. So we have her a carrot stick to suck on. Then tiny apple pieces (raw). Then really I just gave her whatever. She gets whatever we're eating now. Tiny pieces. I don't make it mushier or puréed. Just tiny pea size pieces. I put them a little at a time on her tray. She eats what she wants. If you want to do it by the book. Check out wholesome babyfood.com. Otherwise just use your best judgement and make sure not to leave her alone while eating.
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I saw a baby led weaning thing where the kid was chewing on a pork chop LOL.  Im not so sure about that but ive heard that when they are ready to eat it doesnt all have to be just pureed slop.  Ive never purchased baby food and I dont ever plan to. When my baby is ready to eat I will probably hand her a whole, peeled pear or whatever and let her suck and chew on it with whatever teeth she has until she tires of it. She isnt going to bite of a hunk large enough to choke on.  

Solids at 6 months are just complimentary foods.  Breast milk is still the best thing to be giving your baby.  Ive heard a bit of liver for the iron is a good place to start too,

indiamom3
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Please be careful......I work in the ER, and have seen multiple children choke on EXACTLY that size (because that's the size of their airway!) 

Quoting Katt709: We started my now 8 month old at 6 months. I did spoon feed mashed avocado and mashed bananas. Then I decided I wanted to do baby led weaning. So we have her a carrot stick to suck on. Then tiny apple pieces (raw). Then really I just gave her whatever. She gets whatever we're eating now. Tiny pieces. I don't make it mushier or puréed. Just tiny pea size pieces. I put them a little at a time on her tray. She eats what she wants. If you want to do it by the book. Check out wholesome babyfood.com. Otherwise just use your best judgement and make sure not to leave her alone while eating.

Katt709
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:11 PM
The recommended size is pea or less.

And I'm always careful. I never leave her while she eats and I know baby CPR.

Quoting indiamom3:

Please be careful......I work in the ER, and have seen multiple children choke on EXACTLY that size (because that's the size of their airway!) 

Quoting Katt709: We started my now 8 month old at 6 months. I did spoon feed mashed avocado and mashed bananas. Then I decided I wanted to do baby led weaning. So we have her a carrot stick to suck on. Then tiny apple pieces (raw). Then really I just gave her whatever. She gets whatever we're eating now. Tiny pieces. I don't make it mushier or puréed. Just tiny pea size pieces. I put them a little at a time on her tray. She eats what she wants. If you want to do it by the book. Check out wholesome babyfood.com. Otherwise just use your best judgement and make sure not to leave her alone while eating.

MWright02
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

mashed bannanas, fresh crushed apples, inside of a grape peel the skin and take ot the seeds, crushed cantalope, crushed potatoes, crushed sweet potatoes, gravy, tommato juice, chicken soup/the broth soup not with noodles and etc. mashed potatoes (diluted not to thick), popsicles helped mine with teething crush it like a frosty they also have those net like things to put your babys food in to help them eat. Occasionally i gave mine a sugar free sucker when he got really fussy from teething. I put it in the freezer to get cold and he would knaw on it BE SURE THERE THE BIG THICK ONES THAT WONT BREAK EASY!

Call your Peditircian and ask for more information just to be sure of anything and wait a few days in between giving him new foods in case of a food allergy. Good Luck i love the age where they get to try new foods!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)