Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

A New Twist on Lent!!

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 23 Replies
You know how it goes ...... I'm giving up coffee or chocolate or _______ for Lent, not eating meat on Fridays, etc. etc. Not this year! I read somewhere about a woman who was giving 40 bags of stuff as donations - from her house! I decided to take up the challenge and see what we could do - 1 bag of food, clothing, or misc *stuff* that's been cluttering your home, for each of the 40 days of Lent.

So far, I've donated 12 bags of clothes from my closet. DD cleaned out her room and donated 6 bags. 1 bag from my yarn, knitting, and sewing supplies. 1 bag from the hall closet. 2 bags of food to the food bank. 2 bags of shoes, 1 bicycle (counted as 1 bag), and 1 bag of misc household items. And I haven't even gotten to the basement yet!

26 "bags" donated, and it's the 14th day of Lent. What do you think of a challenge like this - can you do it too??
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bonnie_
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Giving  up  meat for Lent is a religious mandate  for the Catholic Church.  Not something  you  can pick and choose.   It's actually a sin to disregard it.   In addition  to the meat  Catholics   will deny themselves  certain  things....  luxuries big or small.    What you are doing  is charity.  It's nice  but  not considered  the same thing.   You  are not denying  yourself anything, you're  just getting  rid of stuff that would have  gone to  the Goodwill anyway. 

STVUstudent
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM

what an awesome idea!

STVUstudent
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM

My kids are in Catholic school.  While they don't eat (or serve) meat on Friday during Lent, but as for "giving something up, what the Sisters and the Priest are encouraging the children to do is, instead of giving something up, to take something on instead- a service project, a charity... give of yourself.  What you are "giving up" is that portion of yourself, so instead of just denying YOURSELF, you are SERVING OTHERS.

Prayers, acts of self denial, works of personal charity and almsgiving are all considered appropriate penance, and are considered more meaningful and demanding than just not eating meat on Friday.  This is from AmericanCatholic.org 

Quoting Bonnie_:

Giving  up  meat for Lent is a religious mandate  for the Catholic Church.  Not something  you  can pick and choose.   It's actually a sin to disregard it.   In addition  to the meat  Catholics   will deny themselves  certain  things....  luxuries big or small.    What you are doing  is charity.  It's nice  but  not considered  the same thing.   You  are not denying  yourself anything, you're  just getting  rid of stuff that would have  gone to  the Goodwill anyway. 

Bonnie_
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Quoting STVUstudent:

My kids are in Catholic school.  While they don't eat (or serve) meat on Friday during Lent, but as for "giving something up, what the Sisters and the Priest are encouraging the children to do is, instead of giving something up, to take something on instead- a service project, a charity... give of yourself.  What you are "giving up" is that portion of yourself, so instead of just denying YOURSELF, you are SERVING OTHERS.

Prayers, acts of self denial, works of personal charity and almsgiving are all considered appropriate penance, and are considered more meaningful and demanding than just not eating meat on Friday.  This is from AmericanCatholic.org 

Quoting Bonnie_:

I agree.   It  can  even  be  something  like    skipping   an  hour  of tv  or  the internet  for an  hour a day and  using  that  time  for  prayer  or scripture  reading.

Also fasting  goes  back as  far  as  early in the Old Testament.  If you  don't  believe in the Bible  then  there  isn't  really  any need for you to worry about  those of  us that do.   We're not  trying  to take  anything  from  you.

indiamom3
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I dunno, but I'm thinking acts of charity, whatever they may be, would be more pleasing to God than denying yourself something. The bags I've donated we're destined for a yard sale, lol, so they weren't " going to Goodwill anyway". AND, the bags of food weren't meant for Goodwill, they are meant for people that need them! I do believe this falls under the catholic beliefs - our actions, no? And if some of you are still liking the whole denial thing - then just think of it as denying myself profits from the sale of the items, and denying our family of good food from the pantry, cause we are sharing them with others.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM

The original meaning of not eating "meat" or "carne" in the bible refered to sex, not to eat actual meat.

People think is giving up meat so they go and eat lobster, shellfich and other luxury seafood.

Giving up something is a sacrifice, not getting rid of something, that is charity.

following the bible to the letter doesn't make sense since there is a lot lost in translation and interpretation.

as my dad says, the bible is the best seller novel ever existed

BL2010
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I think that's fantastic!

butzi
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM
While this is true, the three legs of the "Lenten sacrifice stool" are prayer, fasting and alms giving. Alms giving In modern terms is giving to the poor. So, she is even from a catholic perspective honoring that one. Giving up meat on Fridays and other days of fast or abstinence, falls under the fast tenet, but as they are an obligation, more fasting is asked of us. We are always called into deeper relationship with God through our prayer lives; never more so than lent.

Quoting Bonnie_:

butzi
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Also anytime you give of yourself to. Help the less fortunate, it's a good thing! I am sure your gifts will help many.
N1ght1ngale
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:32 PM

That's not biblical at all.. 

Quoting Bonnie_:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN