Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do you think of parents who have guns and small children?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 291 Replies
Do you believe these parents are in the right for wanting to protect their home or do you think it's irresponsible? DH and I have 9 guns in the house and one in the car. The shotguns and riffles are locked up. The pistols are up high. We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. My family thinks it's irresponsible. What do you think of parents who have guns and small children?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
5 moms liked this
If they are not locked up well it is irresponsible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
12 moms liked this
They're high enough to where the kids can't reach them but I can grab one quickly if a home invasion happened. If someone breaks in and I have to find a key, get to a gun safe, open it, and grab a gun... we might already be dead.

Quoting Anonymous: If they are not locked up well it is irresponsible.
othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
10 moms liked this

If the guns are put up some where safe and the kids are taught to how to behave around guns(not to touch them) then it is fine. I grew up around guns, we have guns, and our family still does too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM
4 moms liked this
You would be surprised what kids can find and you would be responsible.

Quoting Anonymous: They're high enough to where the kids can't reach them but I can grab one quickly if a home invasion happened. If someone breaks in and I have to find a key, get to a gun safe, open it, and grab a gun... we might already be dead.

EmilysMom2010
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this
They need to be in a safe.
Get a better/easier safe.

6 year olds can get ANYWHERE.

Quoting Anonymous: They're high enough to where the kids can't reach them but I can grab one quickly if a home invasion happened. If someone breaks in and I have to find a key, get to a gun safe, open it, and grab a gun... we might already be dead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:06 AM
13 moms liked this
Education is a big part of responsible gun ownership. A gun safe can't stop a 6 year old. He could easily just watch where we put the key. So we educate. If you ask my son what the main rules with guns are he'll tell you: 1) treat every gun like it's loaded, even if you just checked it. 2) never point a gun at anything that you're not willing to kill 3) keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot 4) never touch a gun without mom or dad there. We use this training even with toy guns. We could leave a loaded gun on the kitchen table and not have to worry (not that we would EVER do that).

Quoting othermom:

If the guns are put up some where safe and the kids are taught to how to behave around guns(not to touch them) then it is fine. I grew up around guns, we have guns, and our family still does too.

EmilysMom2010
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM
We have a couple biometric safes. It takes 2 seconds to open. I would never leave a gun out anywhere. No matter how hidden I think it is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Like the key to the safe? Which might be easier to grab than the 9 on the fridge. That's why education is important.

Quoting Anonymous: You would be surprised what kids can find and you would be responsible.

EmilysMom2010
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this
A biometric or coded safe WILL stop a child.

Quoting Anonymous: Education is a big part of responsible gun ownership. A gun safe can't stop a 6 year old. He could easily just watch where we put the key. So we educate. If you ask my son what the main rules with guns are he'll tell you: 1) treat every gun like it's loaded, even if you just checked it. 2) never point a gun at anything that you're not willing to kill 3) keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot 4) never touch a gun without mom or dad there. We use this training even with toy guns. We could leave a loaded gun on the kitchen table and not have to worry (not that we would EVER do that).

Quoting othermom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM
If your safe is upstairs and you're downstairs and someone breaks in, then what?

Quoting EmilysMom2010: We have a couple biometric safes. It takes 2 seconds to open. I would never leave a gun out anywhere. No matter how hidden I think it is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)