Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Teachers forced to stop using red ink?! What other red items should be banned? *sarcasm*

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM
  • 39 Replies

Red Items That Must Be Banned From Schools Immediately

by Jeanne Sager

red penMom. Dad. It has come to our attention that there is a real problem in our schools. I know what you're thinking. Bullies. Kids going hungry. Common Core! Alas, it is none of those. Have you heard of the detrimental effects of teachers using, shudder, RED PEN?

You haven't? Well then! You are about to be schooled in the danger of all things red. See, Mounts Bay Academy over in Jolly Old has forced its teachers to replace their pens with green and purple when they mark up students' worksheets because "red ink was a very negative colour."

Oh.

Dear.

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

WHAT have we been doing to our kids all these years? My God, man, this must be stopped!

In fact, now that I think about it, there's an awful lot of red in my daughter's school. An AWFUL lot of negativity.

Now that the folks at Mounts Bay have opened my eyes, I am on a mission! Pens are NOT enough ... just look at all the things we must get out of our schools because, well, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

All of these are pretty dang serious, but #6 absolutely must go. NOW!!!

1. Red Light, Green Light

Sorry, gym teachers, but all games of Red Light, Green Light will have to cease immediately. Oh, and no more Red Rover, either.

Maybe you can bring back dodgeball?

2. Red Apples for the Teacher

Sorry, Teach, but your favorite treat is off-limits. From now on you will have to make do with Golden Delicious.

3. Crayons

Watch out kindergarten!! Your crayon box is under attack!!

4. Valentine's Day

Think schools are going too far with their bans on holidays? Sorry, but Valentine's Day has got to go! Unless they'd consider black hearts this year?

5. Red LEGOs

Sorry kids, but a portion of the LEGO bricks will have to be sorted out and carted away. But there's always those pink LEGO bricks everyone was all upset about!

6. Red Lipstick

Teachers, principals, even the lunch lady had best get themselves to Sephora pronto. No more red lipstick! Might I suggest a shade of coral?

7. Art Room Color Wheel

My apologies to the art teachers, but we're just going to have to take that color wheel.

Actually, we might have to shut down the art program entirely. We hear they use red clay in pottery class.

8. Red Chairs

Do the chairs at your kid's school look like this? Uh oh!

Exercise balls for everyone!

9. Rainbows

Repeat after me, kids: OY G. BIV. Got that? OY G. BIV. Don't know who that Roy character your mom is talking about is. Maybe she ate too much Red Dye No. 2 when she was a kid?

What else do we need to add to the list?

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RitaTequila531
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Periods?
Lol
I remember ROY G BIV

Red
Orange
Yellow

Green

Blue
Indigo
Violet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
307mama
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Lol yep. No red ink in my classroom. And we can't play red rover either. And they have already removed the flag so no red there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM
It should be a red flag if you missed something. Glad my kids are out of school. This is a crock of shit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

well i know they still use red pens/pencils here.

Alluring
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
This makes me so sad. I remember in third grade our teacher would allow us to check other students' homework. Only certain students could do it we were partnered up and given the answer key then went outside. It was an honor to get that awesome red pen!
HaileysMom07180
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

oh no another bubble to put our kids into so they don't get their little feelings hurt, seriously worried about what the litle future adults are going to be like when they realize the world doesnt care if their feelings get hurt, if the answer was wrong it was wrong.  changing the color of the pen doesn't change that fact.  maybe instead of putting our kids in a bubble we should teach them to study, try their hardest and when they fail lick their wounds and try again.  at least thats how it is in our house.

mamakin616
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Where do you live that this is going on???I have never even heard this suggested ..let alone acted upon.
Connie04
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM
This is just do ridiculous! Children need to understand when they have made mistakes, that they need to be corrected, and that there will sometimes be consequences. That is just part of life.
myloveismyfaith
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM
This is ridiculous! I thought schools were supposed to train children for the real world? Between not counting scores, pushing kids forward regardless of where they're at, cutting cursive out of schools and now no red pens? What the hell is this preparing them for?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

So next, green and purple will be associated with negativity. Oh no! What to do then?! Here's another idea: Ready for it? Raise/teach kids to be able to handle the fact that they made a mistake, it was pointed out to them, and they need to learn from it. Think they can handle that? Kids are a lot more resilient than people who are too worried about protecting their feelings want to give them credit for. My parents divorced when I was five, and I'm just fine. My grandma died when I was fourteen. Still fine. Think it was such a big emotionally traumatic deal that my teachers corrected my papers with red ink, that they need to do away with that? Oh please!

eye rolling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN