Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Advice for my 1 yr old son, 5 days of diarrhea is too much!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 1 year old son has been experiencing a runny nose, nasty cough + hoarse, sneezing, small low fevers, and progressively worsening diarrhea since Tuesday 3/18. So, hes had a significant decrease in appetite, rejects basically anything except formula. . But even that appetite has deminished. 2 barely wet diapers today, nasty diaper rash started today too. He's ultra clingy, irritable and started acting wobbly when walking as if he's dizzy.
He got his 1 year shots Wednesday 3/19.

His pediatrician is a bonehead (I' ll spare y'all the horror) & i will be calling his new one as soon as 8AM rolls around.

Ive tried BRAT diet, Pedialite, water, Gatorade, etc to no avail.

Any input?
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Watch him for signs of dehydration. When ds was 13 months, he had diarrhea for 5 days. He was lethargic and had not had a wet diaper in over 12 hours. His ped said he didn't seem dehydrated, and to just give him Pedialyte or water. Two hours later, my mommy sense took over and we took him to the ER. I just knew he wasn't ok. He ended up on iv fluids there for 4 or 5 hours, his sodium level was way too low, and he was taken by ambulance transport to the babies & childrens hospital, where he stayed for 2 days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:34 AM

Take him in he sounds like he is getting dehydrated.

bellawomen
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Your child needs to get the ER.  I worry about dehydration really setting in.  He needs to be seen.  Trust me, I waited too long when my son was 4.  He went from jumping on the bed to limp in about 10 minutes and we were only having issues for about 24 hours.  I cannot imagine 5 days.

What shots did he get and how many did he get?  If he was already sick, his shots should have been held so it doesn't overwhelm his little body.  His immune system was already working overtime and it puts him at risk for adverse reactions because of illness.  Poor little man.

myempyreofdirt
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM
My son got that way from a stomach bug at 13 months. Try soy formula for the diarrhea. For the diaper rash, mix your usual rash cream with a liquid antacid. For dehydration we offered ds sips of pedialyte throughout the day. And definitely see that new doctor. Idk about where you live, but the viruses going around here lately are nasty.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Lots of viruses going around. May need tummy meds at this point.
FahLayShuss
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Im south of Atlanta.

Update: he did much beyter through the night, no dirty diapers, a few wet ones. I thought we were out of the woods. . But then the gray came. He's had 3 almost peanut butter consistency BMs that are foul and gray,like slate.
FahLayShuss
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM
he got MMRV, and... there was another one.. it escspes me now though.

Everything i read onlinr about gray poo after diarrhea wasn't good. I called the new pediatrician and they aren't tsking new pstients until May! I cslled his former bonehead one, and it went to their answering service. Now i really dont know what to do.
BL2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Yeah, get him to the Emergency room. He's most likely dehydrated. That's why not many wet diapers and dizzy.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I would have taken him to ER by day 3 at least, in spite of how bonehead his pedi is. That sounds pretty serious. Sorry, no advice other than that, good luck!

FahLayShuss
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this
He's got a double inner ear infection which is the culprit of yhe diarrhea.
I took him to an urgent care center who had the best staff. They did lots of tests\exams and were thorough. *sigh of relief*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)