Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should I report this mom? *update

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM
  • 161 Replies
2 moms liked this
Update: So I saw the kids outside this morning. One almost got hit by a car backing out. So I grabbed my 2 year old and went over to the moms house. I was very polite. Introduced myself, told her that her kids were adorable, and offered to host a play date at my place or the park since my kids are close in age to hers. She wasn't really interested in talking to me. I finally voiced my concern about the kids. She told me her kids were fine and then said she had to go and closed the door. So I don't know...

I live in a town home complex in a very small town. I just moved here so maybe I'm not used to the whole 'small town etiquette'. There's a woman in the building down the street who has 3 kids. Her husband is away right now with the Air Force. Her 3yo and 4yo are always running around the complex together. I mean for hours in places that she can't see them while she's inside with the baby. I've seen them at the park climbing on the playground and I once had to run down there because the 3yo was climbing on the outside and was about to fall. I've seen these kids run into the street to play (I know there's not much traffic but still). It makes me uncomfortable but I might be over-reacting. What do you think?
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM
17 moms liked this
Small town etiquette would be that you get to know mom. Go introduce yourself to mom and ask if she has help with the kids. Tell her you are worried about her babies. If you still feel they are in danger make the call but most small town people are pretty hesitant to call the police on neighbors.
CountryMom2014
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Thanks. I'll go talk to her.

Quoting NDADanceMom: Small town etiquette would be that you get to know mom. Go introduce yourself to mom and ask if she has help with the kids. Tell her you are worried about her babies. If you still feel they are in danger make the call but most small town people are pretty hesitant to call the police on neighbors.
BoopBettyBoop
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I would say the same thing, become her friend and go from there.

little.worthen
by Tess on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this

i would go over there and see if there is anything you can do to help her out before you report her. maybe shes overwhelmed

Aamy
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry but no. You should maybe see if the mom needs a friend. Its hard when your spouse is gone for so long. Maybe she is just over whelmed and needs a friend. 

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM
I'm going to be the odd man out here. Do nothing. I mean if you want to be her friend then go for it but in my experience living in a small town, which I do, the way these people are raised is they raise their kids. They don't think anything wrong with letting your 3-4-5-6 year old roam around the neighborhood. I see it every single day and whenever I express my concern, NO ONE CARES!
I have NEVER been the mind your own business type of person but when time after time no cares and nothing is done, it makes you bitter. I often wonder how the kids around here even still alive.
Who knows, maybe( hopefully ) I am very wrong about this mom and maybe she is overwhelmed. Living in a place like this has just made me very bitter towards people.
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Her kids just stay away so when they get hurt your not around to get blamed !

Kitty_Myrick
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

3 and 4 is a bit young for running around like that.  Yeah, try the being friendly part and work in where you have seen the kids before you go calling anyone.  If could be a case of they are just smart enough to know how long they can be out of sight with out being cot.   

It all depends on how the mom reacts to you saying I've seen your kids here, here and here.

cat

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:20 AM
3 moms liked this
MYB.
mom_dl6
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM

WOW just WOW.....I got Nada here ! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)