Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Resume Question...Teacher

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hi. I'm a certified secondary English teacher currently seeking a teaching job. The last school where I taught was a nightmare! My academic coordinator was so mean, criticized everything I did, and just seemed like she was out to get me from the very beginning. Needless to say, my contract wasn't renewed. That has never happened to me before.
Prior to this last job, I had NEVER had any problems with my teaching career. I was previously nominated "Teacher of the year", I held numerous committee positions, and I was even a mentor teacher.
My question is whether or not I should include that school/school principal on my current résumé??
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom_dl6
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I've NEVER done a resume so i have zero clue.  Good Luck BUMP !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

The problems, no.  Teacher of the year, yes. 

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You will have to.  the state records where you are using your license anyway.  DOnt worry.  It happens to all of us.  Be honest as to why your supervisor didnt like you.  For me, I am a teacher that teaches with thematic units and uses whole language.  The principal wanted everyone to teach straight from the curriculum guides.  I tried to find a happy medium but it was never good enough.  I was let go after 2 terrible years.  Im now teaching with my style and very happy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this

On the experience/work history section, yes, list it.  But do not include that principal/supervisor as a reference.  If the interviewer asks about that position, say something like the environment was a poor fit for you or differences in vision.  If asked, you need to indicate that your contract with them was not renewed.  That information will be on file with the state, so there's no need to try to hide it.  It will appear dishonest.  Bring the focus back to your earlier accomplishments and references.  I am a licensed administrator (though I am currently in the classroom), and I can tell you that any administrator worth his/her salt will know and understand that some schools or administrators are just horrible and even the best teachers in the world can get caught up in miserable situations.  The important thing is to not go in and bad-mouth or run down the prior school or administrator.  Simply saying that it wasn't a good fit for you tells them what they need to know. And the fact that you handle it professionally will go a long way.  Good luck!

jrice110
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM
Thanks for insight/advice. The job that didn't go well was a private school. The public school administration can still find out about it?
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM

No I would not if it is not a big hunck of your life !

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I've been a teacher 20 years. No teacher was beloved by every admin. Be honest without telling every gory detail or blaming the other party. I told them i didn't listen because i was new and young. I felt strongly my way was best but i learned to try something before dismissing it. I took accountability and showed them in willing to learn.

Quoting jrice110: Thanks for insight/advice. The job that didn't go well was a private school. The public school administration can still find out about it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)