Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Did you get the overshare warning on Facebook?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:03 AM
  • 9 Replies

Facebook Tries to Stop People From Oversharing but It's Too Late

by Jenny Erikson

Facebook's ever-changing privacy policies have long been a gripe for users, but it looks like the social media behemoth is finally doing something to make people aware that they don't, in fact, need to share every detail of their lives with the entire Internet.

Starting this week, some Facebook users who tried to share posts publicly got a little pop-up with a cute little dinosaur that asked if you really meant to share that with everyone, or would you rather choose the "right audience"?

Here's an example:

It says, "Sorry to interrupt. You haven't changed who can see your posts lately, so we just wanted to make sure you're sharing this post with the right audience. (Your current setting is Public, though you can change this whenever you post.)"

If you click the "learn more" button, you're taken to a message that reads, "Every time you post on Facebook you can decide who sees what you share. It looks like you haven't changes who can see your posts in a while, so we're just checking that your privacy is set the way you want it."

In other words, Facebook is trying to gently remind us that no one likes an oversharer (except maybe a stalker, but that's another story). It might work for some people, especially those that don't realize they're posting publicly, but let's face it -- it's not going to stop the attention-mongers from posting whatever they want for whomever to see.

Thanks to social media and an entire generation of participation trophy winners, too many of us feel our own posts deserve more "likes" than they probably do. Making things public is the best way for the look-at-me crowd to get more attention, and unfortunately, a lot of people will take negative attention over nothing.

There's only one thing we can do ban the oversharers from our timelines -- adjust your own privacy settings to stealth block them so their posts don't show up in your feed anymore.

Did you get the overshare warning on Facebook?

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:21 PM

No I haven't, but if this is in regards to people who always post things publically, then I think it's a good idea.

I have at least two friends who post EVERYTHING as Public, in spite of the fact that one of them had someone steal his name, pictures of his kids and such and started posing as him. He was ranting like crazy about it and reported the guy. Yet, his posts are still public. So maybe he'll get this and realize the error. Same with my other friend.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:27 PM
No I did not get it.
Bonnie_
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM

My  FB is  set to  private.  I have  people  broken  up to groups.   Sometimes  I post  things   that are  only  visible  to  certain  groups  of people.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM

No I havent

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:45 PM
No I haven't.
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Nope.

morgan483
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I haven't gotten it, but my profile is set to private and most of my settings are already Friends Only.

goodmama85
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM
No.
BL2010
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Hmmm, I haven't seen that but then again I don't post much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN