Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Leashes Are for Dogs Not Toddlers

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM
  • 759 Replies
3 moms liked this

Leashes Are for Dogs Not Toddlers

by Mary Fischer

Sigh. When I came across an article this morning over on Today debating whether or not putting a child on a "leash" is acceptable, I tried my best to keep an open mind since I've always had such a strong opinion on the subject. To put it quite simply -- I can't stand them.

And yes, I said a "leash," as in one of those little backpacks toddlers wear with a harness attached to them that parents hold onto so their little ones don't wander off in public.

I won't lie -- as I read through some of the points made by Katy Maher, a "pro-harness" mom, I nodded my head a little because she sort of makes sense. She likes using the leash because it allows her child to be able to safely "explore" while they navigate the streets of Chicago.

And I get that. I really do. As a mom who has lived in the suburbs since my son was born, which means I never had to deal with keeping tabs on a kid amid the hustle and bustle of a big city -- maybe my perspective on leashes is a bit biased. There's a decent chance I'd be all for them if I'd been living in an urban area when my son was little.

More from The Stir: Picture of Toddler Tied to Lamp Post During Parade Goes Viral (PHOTO)

But every time I see some poor kid attached to one, the thought that immediately goes through my mind is that it's pretty much a lazy parent's way of getting out of having to keeping a constant eye on their kid. It's like, "Hmm. I don't feel like hanging onto junior today, so I'll just tie him up and that way he won't get too far out in front of me."

And I'm sorry, but I have to go there -- seeing a kid on a leash instantly reminds me of a dog. Even when it's for their own safety and is not intended to humiliate the child in any way, shape, or form -- it still just has this demeaning quality. I feel terrible every time I see a kiddo attached to one. And I simply cannot imagine ever, EVER using one.

But for moms who do use them, maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt. Yeah -- a leash may seem unnecessary, but I guess it's a better alternative than losing your child in a humongous crowd of people.

Do you use a leash? Why or why not?

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto3B
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:21 AM
62 moms liked this

I would absolutely leash my child if it were necessary. Toddlers are really not that different from dogs, they are both curious and often don't listen. If I can give my child a little freedom that we can both enjoy - he can't get hurt an I can relax my hyper vigilence just a little, then we both win. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM
11 moms liked this
I never did but mine stayed in a stroller or behaved and held hands. Some don't want to have to teach kids to walk and hold hands these days.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't, and I don't know anyone who did.
My dogs don't generally use leashes.
ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:48 AM
22 moms liked this

I used them for my kids, they were a godsend when my kids were little. I think if you need them to keep your kids safe then use them.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't but given my child has autism and couldn't tell you what her Mommy was wearing then I can understand because nothing is worse than losing your child.
silverthreads
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:48 AM
37 moms liked this

I was in a store once when a child ran from his mom in the clothing department where the clothing racks basically hide eveything.  The store was shut down to find him.  Very scary.  He would not have gotten so far if he had been wearing one of those back packs.  And to fault the mom is not fair.  Each mom needs to do what they feel in their gut is best.

babyspots17
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM
11 moms liked this

I used them on my kids when I felt they would be a benefit.  I really don't care what others think or do with their children. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM
7 moms liked this
I don't. I don't use them on my dogs either. I train my animals and my kid to listen to what I say the very first time and don't wander off without permission. The concept is pretty much the same. My dogs and my kid are all very well behaved and have excellent manners.
teaandcookies
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM
18 moms liked this

Because it is better then having them under a bus.  People need to think as to why they use a harness for their dogs.  Is it to demean them, no, its to stop them from running into the road.  Stupid people.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:15 PM
48 moms liked this
Because strapping them into a stroller where they get no exercise or interaction with the world is so much better. God, I would hate to exist with the closeed mind that some people have. If you are keeping your child safe, I'm happy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN