Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do you think of Elizabeth Hurley's collection including teeny bikinis for girls?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 10 Replies

Girls’ Leopard-Print Bikini Brings Out the Tiger Moms

by Adriana Velez

liz hurley baby bikiniFormer model and now children's clothing designer Elizabeth Hurley has always been so fashionable. But this time, she's way off trend. Hurley is getting major flack for her girls' swim collection. The line for girls under 8 features, of all things, a leopard-print stringed number called the "Wild Cat Bikini." Mrwor! It's a bit much for moms who have been asking clothing designers to stop churning out clothes that sexualize children. Why does Hurley think moms want to buy their little girls a swimsuit that's "great for girls who want to look grown up"?

When Liz Hurley's brand tweeted out her kids' swimwear collection there was an almost instant backlash from disgusted moms.

"Triangle and side tie bikinis on little girls is not a good look.. Sorry. Why sexualise them. Let them be children."

"Leopard print bikinis for children, how delightful..."

"Children have to be trendy too? What for sexual predators? Nope. This is silly!"

Hurley has a few defenders, but mostly disapproval. I guess the proof is in the sales -- if those racy bikinis fly off the shelves, Hurley will probably keep going. After all, this is the second time her chidlren's line has angered parents for sexualizing children. Who is buying this stuff and keeping it on the shelves?

Personally, I think leopard print is okay for little girls in accessories, or pants, or a t-shirt. And I think it's okay to put a little girl in a two-piece. (Except that parents have more to sunscreen and twice as many pieces to keep track of.) But there's two-piece, and then there's va-voom bikini. Know what I mean? It's when a bikini has all the elements of sexy -- the triangle top, the strings, the leopard print -- together that parents shake their heads no.

It's funny, I feel like parents are pushing and pushing for clothing to be more child-like, more protective of kids' innocence. And some clothing designers keep pushing the other way like there's demand for it. Maybe they just don't believe us?

What do you think of Elizabeth Hurley's girls' swimwear collection?

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I don't consider that a teeny tiny string bikini. It has plenty of coverage.
libsterdoodle
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I can guarantee you that my daughters will never, ever be wearing anything like that while I am paying for their clothes and I hope will have more respect for themselves to not wear it when they are adults.  I am shocked that those are suits designed for children under 8 years old.  I am also ok with two piece bathing suits, the one I just bought for my 9 year old is a two piece adorable little tankini, but a string bakini is just a little too skimpy for my taste!!!!  I also think that the leopard print is ok, it is the style of the suit that I disapprove of. 

merryvoice
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM
I would love to be able to let my child wear whatever she wants, but sadly, you just can't. There are too many predators out there who sexualize children when they wear clothes that AREN'T sexy, let alone if they wore clothes that were.

Aside from that though, children grow up too fast as it is. They need to enjoy their childhood and innocence while they have it.
myloveismyfaith
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Im ok with two piece bathing suits on kids, like tankinis or at least the half tops. When potty time come around it makes things easier, especially when kids are having fun and not trying to stop and pee. At the same time, I think triangle tops and side strings cross the line. There's nothing to hold anything in place, and there's no reason for it. Triangle tops and side tie strings are meant to be sexy, they serve no function except to show some more skin. Why put a child into something that is meant to be sexual? As for leopard print being an issue, that I don't understand. It's an animal print, there's nothing inappropriate about it.
Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM

KIDS go to the beach to play in the sand and water.  a bikini is unnecessary.  
WOMEN go to the beach to tan and for the social aspect of it .. a bikini makes sense if they are try to attract sexual attention flaunt their womanhood or get as much of their body tan as possible.  in other words; women go in bikinis for more adult reasons that dont make sense for kids.
so... it is odd to me that parents put their small children in BIKINIS.  dont quite understand that.
and i am not a 'conservative' person.. lol 

meli3586
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I would never let my daughter wear a bikini or even a short skirt. I can't stand when I see a little girl wearing a skirt that barely covers her butt and when she stands up you can see her underwear. It's bad enough when teen girl do that. Letting girls wear clothing like that at 8 begs the question "What will they wear at 13, or 17?" They will probably be wearing a bikini around or nothing at all.

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

That one is cute. My kids always wear 2 pieces. 

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I, a grown woman, go to the beach to play in the sand and water.  I'd rather NOT get tanned (I'm dark enough) and I'm married so getting attention isn't on my to do list, and even I wear 2 pieces.  It makes it easier when you gotta pee. 

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

KIDS go to the beach to play in the sand and water.  a bikini is unnecessary.  WOMEN go to the beach to tan and for the social aspect of it .. a bikini makes sense if they are try to attract sexual attention flaunt their womanhood or get as much of their body tan as possible.  in other words; women go in bikinis for more adult reasons that dont make sense for kids.so... it is odd to me that parents put their small children in BIKINIS.  dont quite understand that.and i am not a 'conservative' person.. lol 

seraphimsong
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I think it's cute

My dd likes to wear two pieces & I'm okay with that.
mattiehatter
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM
That looks like lingerie!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)