Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should Little Boys Have Pierced Ears?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 12 Replies

Should Little Boys Have Pierced Ears?

by Adriana Velez

pierced earsIt can be a big dilemma when your little girl wants her ears pierced. But what do you do when your son asks to have his ears pierced? Little boys ... with earrings! Are we ready for that? Apparently this is something boys are asking for at a younger age. Maybe it's a trickle-down influence from pirate Jack Sparrow -- or maybe it's some other cultural phenomenon we parents are totally clueless about. But it's bound to throw even the most open-minded parent. My friend's 9-year-old son recently asked to have his ears pierced, and this is how she handled it.

Linda wasn't that surprised because her son likes to "adorn" himself anyway. He wears rings on his fingers and sometimes a necklace or two. Still, when Z asked for earrings, she wanted to think about it, and she wanted him to think about it as well.

When she and her husband talked it over, they came to the conclusion that if their son really wanted his ears pierced, it would just be fair to say yes. Why? Because his sister's ears are pierced. Why enforce a double standard for ear-piercing?

Linda's daughter had her ears pierced, for cultural reasons, when she was 4 years old. And she loves her earrings. Gender equality is important to this whole family. So Linda is letting Z sit with the idea for a while. "If he asked again, we wouldn't hold him back if that's what he wanted to do."

It helps that they home-school, so Z isn't likely to get harassed by other kids or teachers. The important thing is that their son give the idea some serious thought, first. They're not making this decision on a whim. 

I think that's pretty reasonable. I hadn't thought of it that way before -- if you're willing to pierce a girl's ears, you should be willing to pierce your son's as well, if they want it. And who knows -- maybe this will become fairly commonplace in a few years.

What would you say if your young son asked to have his ears pierced?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SugarbearNHoney
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I think that it should be their decision when they are old enough to decide on their own.

lilblu399
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM

For actual piercings, you have to be 18, but stick on clip on and magnets are fine. Same for my daughter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course if a girl in the family  has pierced ears, it's only fair to let a boy have them.

If my ds asked me, I would ask why he wanted them pierced. I would have him research body decorating in cultures worldwide to see how his request fits with the global view.

To me the motivation would be key, and it would depend on what kind of significance it had for him and the "serious thought" my son came up with to justify it.

My own ds did his piercing on his own when he was older and dd is not interested..

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Nope
myloveismyfaith
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM
I don't have an issue with it. Gender specific jewelry, colors, toys, clothes, whatever seems to be breaking down lately, instead of encouraging things based on gender I think preference is what matters. If I had a son that wanted earrings, he could have them, just as my daughter can.
N1ght1ngale
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I dont see a problem with boys having pierced ears..many cultures have males with all sorts of piercings.. Its rediculous to say "no son of mine will wear jewelry like a girl" when the majority of other cultures, the men and boys dress more flamboyently than the women do...like a peacot or pheasant..  Now, i wont let my son wear a dress or bikini.. But jewelry is a different matter, so long as its masculine.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM

No

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM
I might or might not at his age but when he gets old and make his own desions then yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:22 AM

In my cultural, it's not odd for men/boys to have pierced ears as well as girls, so i'd say yes.

DH thinks a boy should wait until he was 18, but girls could do it at 16, i explained the double standard there. I wanted my ears pierced at 5, but got them when i was 13 or 14.

I'd probably go and get it done anyways (if my son had a good/legit reason), DH may be mad but he'd get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:48 AM
If any of my sons want their ears pierced they can get their ears pierced. I don't care either way. Just like if my sons want a dress they can have a dress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)