Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can you be sued for this?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM
  • 42 Replies

I found a dog hit by a car today.  It had tags on it so I loaded it in my car to bring it home.  Nobody home.  The dog was in pain and clearly broke a bone.  The rabies tag had a vets office name so  I brought it to their vet.  I dont want to pay the bill but now im worried the owners might demand it since they did not give permission to me to bring the dog in.  The vet took my name and number so the owners can track me down. 

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM

You did good. These days people can sue for anything. Good luck and I hope they don't come after you.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't imagine why the owner's would sue you for the bill; if they did, then I would sue them for custody of the dog!!  No really, if they did, I would go to the vet and see if I could work out a deal with him of some kind.  That would be absolutely ridulous of the owners.

bhow
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Oh boy.  That would suck but, you have an all too clear idea of what this world has become.  I would hope they will not sue you but who knows these days.  You did the right thing, I would have too.  Good Luck.

JTE11
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM
4 moms liked this

You took the dog to the vet because of the contact information. You didn't say you consented for or asked for treatment, just took it there because the vet would have owners' information. At our office the vet would have called the owners first and told them what was going on and asked them what they wanted to do with the dog before doing anything so if the vet went ahead and treated, that is probably between the owners and the vet. I would not have given the vet my name and number, however. Sometimes it better to be anonymous. But unless the owners are a bunch of ungrateful jerks you should be OK. In any case, you didn't ask for treatment, only contact information.

lucy164
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM

How is the dog?

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM
I think you could be sued for anything these days which is sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM
8 moms liked this

Quoting lucy164:

How is the dog?

The owners did call and they said that they were not home until 5 hours after I took him in.  They were glad I took him in and they said the dog had a broken leg and pelvis.  There was some internal bleeding and the vet said the dog would not have made it the 5 hours. 

They did not mention the bill or anything to me.  They were just happy the dog is going to be fine. 

kceron
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If I were in that situation I'd worry about the bill (just like I'd worry how I would pay it for one of my kids) but I'd be grateful!  I love my dog and wouldn't want her to suffer like that.  

Let me say as another dog owner, Thank you for helping him when the owners could not be there!  It sounds like you saved his life!  ♥

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting lucy164:

How is the dog?

The owners did call and they said that they were not home until 5 hours after I took him in.  They were glad I took him in and they said the dog had a broken leg and pelvis.  There was some internal bleeding and the vet said the dog would not have made it the 5 hours. 

They did not mention the bill or anything to me.  They were just happy the dog is going to be fine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM

You're putting yourself at risk. You should have called emergancy services / animal control because YOU can be sued esp if they find by MOVING the dog, you caused more injury

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You're putting yourself at risk. You should have called emergancy services / animal control because YOU can be sued esp if they find by MOVING the dog, you caused more injury

we are in a village of 295 people.  we dont have those things.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN