Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

When is young too young and old too old in a relationship or marriage

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM
  • 11 Replies
I see celebrities all the time dating and marrying people way younger than them or way older. The age gap is always off the charts. Like i just read that Aaron Johnson (Kick Ass/Savages) is married to his Nowhere Boy Director Sam Taylor-Wood who is 47 and he is 23. They started dating when they were filming Nowhere Boy in 2009 when he was 19 and she was still in her 40's. They got engaged in 2009 and married in 2012. They have 2 daughters. Other relationships i have read about like Jennifer Lopez dating that younger guy and plenty others and guys do it too. Like Amber Tamblyn (Traveling Pants) 30 married actor David Cross who is 50. Their age gap is big but at least she's almost 30. What are your opinion on age gaps??? I think age gaps aren't bad sometimes, but certain ones seem so. Like I think it depends on the ages and the gap. I'm older than my wife but only by 3 years. To each is own i'm just asking.
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM

In my eyes celebrity marriage age gaps don't really matter because they'll be divorced within a few years! I always prefered my man be 20 years older than me. Everybody argued that he'd just leave me a widow in the prime of my life.  Once I fell in love it was with a guy 6 months older than me.  He died and left me a widow in the prime of my life.  The pitfall of marrying somebody 20 years older is more than likely they will die and you'll be left alone...then again there are no guarantees in life.  A 19 y/o kid here married at 89 y/o woman who is the richest person in town.  He ran around town bragging how he was just waiting for her to die so he could inherit her wealth.  They married 5 years ago.  A year after they got married he died when he wrapped his fancy new sports car around a tree and she's still alive and kicking.  She says she knew he only wanted her for her money; but she had enough money to make him happy and he in turn made her happy.  I say it was really none of my business as long as they both agreed to it! As my Mom used to say...whatever floats your boat is fine with me!  I do my best to refrain from judging others!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

For me 5 years older or younger is enough.  DH is a year younger than me and the oldest person I dated was 4 years older.  Youngest 2 years younger. 

myloveismyfaith
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM
I think age is just a number when it comes to love, and it's great that there's someone for everyone but at the same time, I think it's weird and hard to digest. Have you ever seen exteme cougar wives? There were couples, 56 and 21 year old, 90 and 46, 76 and sleeping with guys in their twenties. I think it's your partners older than your parents, it's..off but if you're tilt in love, who cares what everyone else thinks I'm happy for you:
WishingonaBaby1
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

In my eyes celebrity marriage age gaps don't really matter because they'll be divorced within a few years! I always prefered my man be 20 years older than me. Everybody argued that he'd just leave me a widow in the prime of my life.  Once I fell in love it was with a guy 6 months older than me.  He died and left me a widow in the prime of my life.  The pitfall of marrying somebody 20 years older is more than likely they will die and you'll be left alone...then again there are no guarantees in life.  A 19 y/o kid here married at 89 y/o woman who is the richest person in town.  He ran around town bragging how he was just waiting for her to die so he could inherit her wealth.  They married 5 years ago.  A year after they got married he died when he wrapped his fancy new sports car around a tree and she's still alive and kicking.  She says she knew he only wanted her for her money; but she had enough money to make him happy and he in turn made her happy.  I say it was really none of my business as long as they both agreed to it! As my Mom used to say...whatever floats your boat is fine with me!  I do my best to refrain from judging others!

Wow that's crazy how that happened. N yea whatever floats their boat, it's just weird sometimes, but hey love is love
WishingonaBaby1
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Quoting myloveismyfaith: I think age is just a number when it comes to love, and it's great that there's someone for everyone but at the same time, I think it's weird and hard to digest. Have you ever seen exteme cougar wives? There were couples, 56 and 21 year old, 90 and 46, 76 and sleeping with guys in their twenties. I think it's your partners older than your parents, it's..off but if you're tilt in love, who cares what everyone else thinks I'm happy for you:
No i never seen that. I had no idea there was even a show. Yea idc be with who u want its just always a bit strange to see at first cus some couples do be really old with a really young partner, but i'm happy for everyone so hey.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM

My maternal grandfather had 3 wives (not at once), the first one was my biological grandmother, they divorced when my mom was a baby and she remarried but died (car accident) when my mom was 13.

My grandfather had already married his 2nd wife (they all grew up in the same neighborhood), who had a daughter (who he adopted) just a little older then my mom and she died in 1976 of cancer in her 50's.

Even though they were all about the same age, they both died 30 years+ before him.

His third wife was/is two years younger then my mom, when they married in 1979 (11 years before i was born so i've always known her as my grandmother) she was 25 and he was 51. They were married for almost 30 years before he died in 2007. She told me when he died that she always thought she would die first because he always acted like the younger one. She remarried 2 or 3 years after he died to someone in their late 70's.

islandgirly
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM
I dated a guy 13 years older than me for a few years, beginning when I was 18. I didn't think much of the age difference at the time, but looking back I can see that we were in different stages in our lives and it caused a lot of our problems. So I think it all depends on what stage of your life you are in and what you want.
bozobean
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:40 PM

As long as they're of legal age, I don't care and it's their life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:09 PM

The age gap between 23 and 47 isn't that big either is the age gap from 30 to 50. 

newwifenmom
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM
I don't care what other people do but 15 years older and 5 years younger are my limits.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)