Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Online elementary school, yes or no?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your child attend a virtual school?

Options:

Yes

No

I would homeschool

Public education is as good as it gets

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

I just read an article on Yahoo about a mom researching online schools for her first grader; the comments were a battle between those who sang praises for online education and its adaptability and those who condemn it for its lack of socialization.

Does anyone have any experience with virtual schools? Has anyone homeschooled? Would anyone have used it for their kids if it had been an option? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myloveismyfaith
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM
My daughter socializes just fine so I wouldn't send her, but I voted yes because my cousin has really bad anxiety issues, she wouldn't go to school and would spend most of the day with the nurse or wandering around because her anxiety would act up and she didn't want to be there. Her parents and the school fought with her for along time, but she became violent and her grades were nonexistent, she didn't do anything. They ended up trying long distance school at hillside and she did great. It wasn't the work at hated, it was the social setting.
Sarlinda
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I'd love to homeschool our girls but it worries me to pull them away from their friends. Our oldest dd who is 13 has been asking me to do it for a little while now. 

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

My girls go to private school, but we are choosing to homeschool next fall. I did look into online school and decided against it. It is basically public school at home, meaning you are bound by their attendance rules. I was not thrilled with that as I want the freedom as a homeschooler to take my kids on field trips on a whim. I want to be able to say " hey... let's pack up and head to DC to the Smithsonian...or down to Savannah to the forts or to other Civil War sites for a history lesson....or the aquarium/zoo for a nature/science lesson..

So, I'm going to buy curriculum, follow it and do a lot of field trips with the kids. We *are* taking the girls to DC for a week in the fall, and in 2016, we are taking them to China. Before the China trip, they will be doing projects about the culture, our oldest will do reports about her birth country, they will learn some Mandarin before we leave, etc...I can incorporate more if I do it on my own rather than use public school at home IMO. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

imamomzilla
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Public school was the best option for us.

I personally don't think younger kids have the discipline it takes for virtual school....and I firmly believe they would benefit from socializing with their peers.

JoanahLee
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

If an elementary school child is doing online virtual school, then you are homeschooling.  You might not be officaly on the list of homeschoolers, but they need constant parent support and assistance and they need to spend a good portion of their day away from the computer and engaged in educatinal things with their parents and friends. 

Id do online school with my kids if thats what they need to do, but its hardly just parking them at the computer and checking on their grades at the end of the week.

littlepinkrose
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I would only do it if my nephew needed it.  I know that you are really bound by there schedule so I may just home school if it came to that.  He likes school so far though and gets good grades and gets along with others and does not complain about going.

Memere60
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I monitored a virtual school for three kids who need ed to finish 8th grade. The kids got so sick of trying to pretend that they were part of the classroom, listening to the teach talk and talk. I secretly turned off the videos (this was many years ago when the concept was new) , and we did a lot of the work just using the textbooks. The kids all got A's and B's using that method, which turned out to be homeschooling. What I really hate is the argument for socialization. There are so many options for kids to do what they really want to do, baseball, soccer, gymnastics, dance. Just sitting in a classroom with a bunch of kids does not 'socialize' children enough to  make that be a reason to keep a kid in school. The public school system does not want to lose the money that it makes from each child. Even public school is offering online education K-12 now. By the way, I homeschooled my own child for two years because she could not read. I taught her how to read, taught her basic math skills, and she went back to school. She then went on to college and became a teacher!!

Donna1
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I chose 'No' because I've already gone through the whole rigamirole of virtual online homeschooling. While my experience wasn't what I'd hoped it would be, and had I known then what I know now, not to mention being in a completely different space, I suspect the whole experience would have been a lot more favorable and our now 11-year-old daughter would still be going. There are things I discovered, things I found I didn't particularly like, and was concerned. Suffice it to say, she ended up falling through the cracks of this particular school. Needless to say I wasn't happy, withdrew her and decided to never put her, or me for that matter, through anything like this ever again. And it's sad. I believe she would have succeeded, and in fact, been (and still be) ahead of the curve. Now we'll never truly know just how far she should/could have gone. In closing, let me say this. Be your child's best advocate. I have more to say, but not the time or energy to. So, I'll say this. If you are really interested in knowing what I think, what suggestions I have, please feel free to send me an email through here. I'll be more than happy to respond to courteous, and serious requests. Homeschooling isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean it isn't right. It all depends. On a lot of different things.

Donna

snowangel1979
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I would use it but only if I purchased the program myself. I would not use the public schools program.

I looked into the public school's online academy. They said that my child couldn't go over grade level, which was a problem for us. I also didn't like that what they said at the meeting and what the paperwork said didn't match. Ex: they said you can choose to drop it at anytime but in the paperwork they wanted me to sign said if you dropped out of the program, they charged you with educational neglect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I plan on homeschooling and I am lucky that I live in an area where socialization is very easy to incorporate. Between the homeschooling groups, co ops, sports or other extracurricular activities (ex. community playhouses, science centers) I am not at all worried that he won't be able to socialize and make a ton of friends.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)