Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Freakin' out a bit here... UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM
  • 32 Replies

Update: We had a security system installed today.  To much weirdness for my liking.  Especially after I discovered that one of the "windows" on my crawlspace had been removed and was propped up against the house.  I don't know exactly when that happened, but I know that my DH installed it in the fall and up until a week ago it was covered by a snow drift.

I talked with neighbors, friends and family and no one popped by that day unexpectedly.  So unless I am losing my mind and didn't go through my normal routine (twice) like I remembered doing, someone that I don't know what in my house using my washroom.... 

On the weekend my DH the kids and I went to visit friends for the day.  I went through my routine before we left.  I made sure that the dogs were locked up in the kitchen/dining room.  I made sure the doors to the bathroom and DS's room were closed.  I checked our sunroom to make sure our cat wasn't in there and closed that door too.  Then I double checked everything before walking out the door (because I'm crazy like that).

When we arrived home I came into the kitchen and the first thing I noticed was that the puppy had gotten into the garbage in the bathroom and dragged it out into the kitchen.  Hmmm, I'm positive that door was closed when we left.  Next, I realized that the cat hadn't greeted us as he normally would.  DH opened the sunroom door to find him waiting to be let in.  Again, I double checked before we left to make sure he wasn't in there (no litter box in the sunroom and I hate cleaning up cat messes).  

So, now I am convinced that someone was in our house.  It makes no sense, I know.  Why would somebody come into our house to use the washroom?  But I can't get past that feeling and it is bugging the crap outta me.  Usually we leave the back door unlocked (we live in a very rural area and it has never bothered me) but now I don't want to leave them unlocked even when I am home.  

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AidensAvonMommy
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I would be freaking out too. Did you do a check of your house to make sure nothing is missing? Any family that could have stopped by while you were gone and forgot to mention it?

LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Nothing is missing.  That was one of my first thoughts, but I've talked to most of my family and no one stopped by.  People rarely stop by without calling because we don't live close to anyone and we are really out of the way.   

Quoting AidensAvonMommy:

I would be freaking out too. Did you do a check of your house to make sure nothing is missing? Any family that could have stopped by while you were gone and forgot to mention it?

BL2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Hmmm, maybe someone open the bathroom after you already closed it?

SnapIt
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Its been known for outsiders to live in attics or crawl spaces and come out to eat and bathe
LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Nope.  I'm always the last one out of the house.  DH was waiting in the car with the kiddos.  

Quoting BL2010:

Hmmm, maybe someone open the bathroom after you already closed it?

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care how rural or safe your neighborhood is, leaving a door unlocked is leaving an invitation out for a criminal.
LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM

No sleep for me tonight... 

Quoting SnapIt: Its been known for outsiders to live in attics or crawl spaces and come out to eat and bathe

LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM

For the longest time after moving here, I always locked the doors, even if I was home.  It was habit from living in the city.  But after locking myself out a number of times (once with my children in the house) and having been here for 7 years without so much as a stranger pulling into my driveway looking for directions, I just stopped doing it.  After this incident though, I have reverted back to my paranoid, city-slicker ways and will make sure everything is locked up tight. 

Quoting MixedCooke: I don't care how rural or safe your neighborhood is, leaving a door unlocked is leaving an invitation out for a criminal.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Bury a key somewhere that you will remember but is nondescript for someone that may look for it. I work at a police department, so Im a bit jaded when it comes to upping the safety factor of my home. It's hard to feel safe in it after a break in.

Quoting LDavis33:

For the longest time after moving here, I always locked the doors, even if I was home.  It was habit from living in the city.  But after locking myself out a number of times (once with my children in the house) and having been here for 7 years without so much as a stranger pulling into my driveway looking for directions, I just stopped doing it.  After this incident though, I have reverted back to my paranoid, city-slicker ways and will make sure everything is locked up tight. 

Quoting MixedCooke: I don't care how rural or safe your neighborhood is, leaving a door unlocked is leaving an invitation out for a criminal.

LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Our neighbors always had an extra key just in case, but since they moved we haven't bothered figuring out what to do with the spare (and didn't need to because we stopped locking the doors).  

I'm seriously considering investing in an alarm system too.  

Quoting MixedCooke: Bury a key somewhere that you will remember but is nondescript for someone that may look for it. I work at a police department, so Im a bit jaded when it comes to upping the safety factor of my home. It's hard to feel safe in it after a break in.
Quoting LDavis33:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN