Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Kendra Wilkinson Has Some Choice Words for Dads Who 'Babysit' Their Kids

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 8 Replies

Kendra Wilkinson Has Some Choice Words for Dads Who 'Babysit' Their Kids

by Suzee Skwiot

dads are not babysittingWhat's the difference between a parent and a babysitter? As a former sitter, who spent a large portion of her teenage weekends caring for the neighbors' kids, I can tell you the one clear distinction: you parent your own kids and babysit others.

Yet time and time again, we've seen fathers "babysitting" their children. So let's get one thing straight. Whether you're a mother or a father, you're never "babysitting" your children. You're "parenting."

One of our favorite mommas, Kendra Wilkinson, shared some wise (and slightly naughty!) words on Twitter earlier today:

Amen, girl! And good for Kendra for standing up! Her husband Hank doesn't babysit little Hank, nor will he babysit the one in her tummy. He'll parent them. 

Women who let their husbands get away with saying that they're "babysitting the kids" are doing a disservice to their entire family. Dads are not babysitters.

No matter how you slice it, the statement is demeaning towards both parents. For one, it implies that the fathers graciously allowed the mothers out of the house by taking care of their kids. And secondly, it suggests that fathers are not able to parent their children to the extent that mothers can.

And clearly, neither is true. So ladies, it's alright to take a firm stance on dads "babysitting." Simply, don't let them. After all, you don't leave them a $20 on the table and check their references before you leave them with the kids.

Has your husband ever said he was babysitting? What did you say to him?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:44 AM

No, and I would kick his butt if he did say it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM
In some cases I have actually seen the opposite happen. A dad tries to parent the kid and the mom basically tells him he is wrong and never let's him make decisions regarding the kids because she thinks only she knows best. And some of them never leave the kids alone with the dad because they do not trust them to take care of them correctly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, why are they with someone, AND have kids with them if they don't trust them?  SMH.  Some women are just dumb. 

Quoting Anonymous: In some cases I have actually seen the opposite happen. A dad tries to parent the kid and the mom basically tells him he is wrong and never let's him make decisions regarding the kids because she thinks only she knows best. And some of them never leave the kids alone with the dad because they do not trust them to take care of them correctly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Yep I completely agree. Although in most cases it's not that the father is not a good father, but just that the mother has control issues. So she would be that way with anyone, no matter how great of a father they are.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL, why are they with someone, AND have kids with them if they don't trust them?  SMH.  Some women are just dumb. 

Quoting Anonymous: In some cases I have actually seen the opposite happen. A dad tries to parent the kid and the mom basically tells him he is wrong and never let's him make decisions regarding the kids because she thinks only she knows best. And some of them never leave the kids alone with the dad because they do not trust them to take care of them correctly.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:58 AM

That irks me for some reason too.  

JC2223
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

No, my DH is a parent, not a sitter. I do hear that a lot among my family and friends though and being the sarcastic person that I can be, I always ask how much they get paid for babysitting services. I usually get a correction response like..."Oh, I mean he's watching them". I usually reply to that with..."So he's just going to stare at them the entire time you're gone?".

DixieL
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

No, he always knew he was taking care of our son, when I was gone. He loved being with him.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM

No way. They are his kids too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN