Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you believe that if you had more money you would be a better parent?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM
  • 157 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know many people are going to cringe at this question or fire away...but i believe it is a good question. Raising children is challenign enough, but through in the stress of having to pay bills and provide can sometimes cause you to lose sight of being a parent. It can become very consuming to be thinking about finding a job and making money while contending with small children.

I found it incredibly challenging, but what i did was learn how to be patient with attracting more wealth into my life. I had gone to school, had several higher education degrees but couldn't find a job to pay the bills...this was very stressful for me and my family especially when my husband went on strike. I learned to be happy with my situation and by accepting it, and being patient that one day things would work out...thiings did work out...i was able to attract the most amazing experineces....and still enjoy being a parent throughout it.

Does anyone else have a story like this....and has money affected your ability to be a parent?

thanks

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel that in having more money  in my opinion  would help me to be a better parent in that I could afford to buy the things that children could have.  I am not working now and since the birth of my child I have not had a job that is in my field of my associates degree in administration I am looking to go back to school while I am still looking for a job.  My dh is providing the income now financially things would be better if there was more income but as a parent I provide the basic essentials to meet needs while I am to be patient in financially. 

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
7 moms liked this
I believe if we didn't have to struggle and worry all the time that I'd be way less stressed and therefore more patient and less likey to be snappy. In turn I might be a better mom, would be nice to find out...lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

We have money and we feel that we would be the same parents regardless.  What does money have to go with how you raise kids?  If we couldn't actually afford kids we wouldn't have had them though.  We were married a long time before kids. 

erinmm32
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree more money would mean less stress and more time to focus on just enjoying the momment
KendallsMommee
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:46 AM
7 moms liked this
I think if we had LESS money, I would feel like a better parent in a way.

I have spoiled her rotten (Dh has helped, too) without even realizing it until lately..
libsterdoodle
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM
9 moms liked this

Boy do I hate money!!!! I absolutely hate to say it, but more income for the family has made me a better parent and my kids for sure happier.  Not because they have more stuff, or in any kind of a material way, but my husband getting a better job made it possible for me to be a SAHM, so in my situation, more money meant more mommy!!!  I am a bit of an old fashioned believer when it comes to this, I think that kids will always do better in life if there is a full time at home parent.  No one at a daycare is going to give your kids the love that you can.  For many years I had no choice, but now I get to be home.  The thing with money though is that there just is never enough.  As soon as you get more, you need more!!!  Now that I am a SAHM I have my kids involved in more sports and after school activities because I am home to take them to these things, but all of those things cost money.  The job that my husband got was a great offer, the salary covered his old salary and my old salary, making it possible to be at home, but since we had to move to another state where there is a higher cost of living, we actually have less money available to us for the extras, so that makes it a bit difficult.  I however feel that the trade-off is better, we can't go out to eat, or to the movies as often as we would like, and Christmas day there are a few less presents under the tree, but my kiddo's always get to wake up with me and get a kiss from me before going to sleep at night.  I get to cook dinner for them every single night, I never miss a soccer game or dance recital, or talent show...  I can volunteer at the school and be present for parent/teacher conferences.  All of those things weren't possible when I was working 50 hours a week.  So our belts are a little tighter on the extras, we don't get the perks as often as we used to, I don't buy new clothes for myself very often, but I get more quality time making memories with my babies!!!  Like I said, I hate money!!

libsterdoodle
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a such a great point!!  My husband and I talk about this a lot!!  He didn't have much of anything growing up with a single mother and now that he has the means to he likes to get our kids all those things that he didn't have.  In my opinion, this makes for children who are just not accustomed to going without!!  It is a tougher life lesson that you can't always get what you want when you are used to just having it all.  Such a tricky balancing act!!!!

Quoting KendallsMommee: I think if we had LESS money, I would feel like a better parent in a way. I have spoiled her rotten (Dh has helped, too) without even realizing it until lately..

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM
8 moms liked this

I think all families and all kids are different.  My 12 year old daughter is an ellite dancer.  Its her passion and she has won many national titles.  Her solo lessons alone are $75 an hour.  In order to have her compete and train to the level she needs at this point it costs about $500 a month.  If we did not have money she simply would not be able to be a dancer.  

I know another family that are passionate readers.  They nearly live at the library.  They go to the museum on free days and look for good deals on everything.  Their kids are amazing, have very full and enriched lives and they live on less money than I spend on activities for my kids.  Being a good parent is about being involved.  

I have seen you post before.  I suspect you are a very clever spammer and are trying to skirt the rules.  I google searched your image Miranda....  You are all over in your momtraprenures schtick.  Your only posts have been about your business.  You dont contribute anywhere else and you are on many websites posting the same things, trying to increase your business.  If I were cafemom I would take a closer look at your profile and delete it if you are here for nothing more than advertising your business.

Malayahsmom06
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont know about being a better parent in general, but I would take them to do and see more things. I would also hire a housekeeper so that I could spend more time just enjoying them.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

In my, or our (I'm including my husband since this is a subject we discussed when I became a SAHM), situation I don't think having more money would have made me any better parents at all.  I could have brought in a very good salary had I continued to work, but we just felt like my being home was what we wanted for our family.  Sure it meant some financial sacrifics, but it also meant that I was there to run our older kids here, there and everyhere and then when our youngest was born (when our next  youngest was 14 & I was 40!) I was there and didn't have to worry about childcare.  I did go back to work at one time for a couple of years, to put the youngest in a private Christian school for 3 years,  and I did some childcare in our home also.  But, being here and having our kids know I was there for them, as well as their dad .. we always put our family ahead of 'stuff', made everything worth while.  But ... we also learned how to manage our money and we always had everything we needed and some extras; and dh has never had a salary over $52,000  (before overtime, that is).   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)