Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What age do you cut a boy's hair for the first time?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM
  • 42 Replies

My son will be two on July 4th. His hair has gotten so thick and long so I cut it. Some people told me that I shouldn't have cut it yet because he's not 2. I think he looks so cute though!

I don't have a before picture, but before I cut it, his hair was in his face and it was also almost passed his shoulders!

What age did you cut your son's hair for the first time?

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:36 PM
I had both my boys hair cut when they turn one years old.
svolkov
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:11 PM
First son was 3 months second was 6. I cant stand scraggily baby hair lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM
I have girls. Oldest started getting cuts at 10 months, youngest around 13 months. I like well kept hair.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM
My oldest son didn't have much hair, so I didn't cut it for the first time until he was almost 3 years old. My youngest son had a lot of hair and I cut it at 13 months.
ZamilyMom
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I cut my oldest DS's hair before he turned one, as it was really long and in his eyes.  Many people told me it was bad luck to cut a child's hair before age 1, but I figured he'd have more bad luck if he couldn't see where he was going!

poisonedtaco
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I never understood cutting girls' hair until it got longer and thicker and you could actually style it. My oldest daughter is 6 and I just cut her hair for the first time a few weeks ago, but she was the one that wanted me to cut it.

Quoting Anonymous: I have girls. Oldest started getting cuts at 10 months, youngest around 13 months. I like well kept hair.

4midablemom
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM
My son was probably 14 or 15 months, but his hair was very fine and white-blonde.
poisonedtaco
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I think that is kinda silly. Who would get the bad luck? The parents or the child? I never heard that it was bad luck but I have heard on CM from a few mothers that it is tacky. 

Quoting ZamilyMom:

I cut my oldest DS's hair before he turned one, as it was really long and in his eyes.  Many people told me it was bad luck to cut a child's hair before age 1, but I figured he'd more bad luck if he couldn't see where he was going!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM
I did style it. My oldest kept super short hair till about 2nd grade. All girls don't have long hair. She wanted it that way. All hair needs split ends cut every few months or the hair look like crap.

Quoting poisonedtaco:

I never understood cutting girls' hair until it got longer and thicker and you could actually style it. My oldest daughter is 6 and I just cut her hair for the first time a few weeks ago, but she was the one that wanted me to cut it.

Quoting Anonymous: I have girls. Oldest started getting cuts at 10 months, youngest around 13 months. I like well kept hair.

poisonedtaco
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I know not all girls have long hair. I was talking more about babies. I just think it's weird to cut a baby girl's hair until it gets a little longer and thicker. With boys it makes more sense to keep it short, even at a young age. When they can decide how short they want it, that's different :) I guess I should've worded my last comment a little differently.

Quoting Anonymous: I did style it. My oldest kept super short hair till about 2nd grade. All girls don't have long hair. She wanted it that way. All hair needs split ends cut every few months or the hair look like crap.
Quoting poisonedtaco:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN