Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are you affectionate with your kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies

Growing up my parents were always very standoffish and seldom ever hugged me, much less gave me a kiss. I saw other kids with their parents, however, being showered with affection at games, competitions, etc., and I was always jealous of that.

Since I've had my own kids, I've made sure they are always given hugs and kisses and told how much I love them and how proud I am of them every day. My parents still don't get it, though, and my kids are usually kept at arm's length whenever they visit.

Are you affectionate with your kids? Were/are your parents affectionate with you?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I grew up without being hugged by my parents often or hearing "I love you". I'm very affectionate with my daughter!She hears "I love you" from her dad and I many times a day and is showered with hugs and kisses.She is the apple of our eye.My parents ended up being completely different as grandparents and have been very affectionate with her and my nephews.

LaughsAlot
by Liz on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Yes I am, I come from a large(7 sister's & 7 brother's & I'm the oldest) and we always give each other hugs when we see each other. We always say "Later" or "Luv you" after we talk on the phone, never "good-bye". When I brought my husband home to meet my 2 oldest(previous marriage) kid's, he was very shocked at how close my kids & I are,he grew up in a family environment where everyone knew everyone loved each other, but never voiced it or showed it so openly like I do with my family & kids & now my in-law's!!happy dance

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:54 PM

yes very affectionate

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My mother was very abusive to me so no there was no affection at all. I am very affectionate with my children. My oldest, my brother actually, cuddles with me all the time. Sometimes he sits on my lap and I rock him and hug and kiss him all the time. I cuddle my babies and hug and kiss and hold them as much as I possibly can. 

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:37 PM
My parents weren't overly affectionate and my husband tells me his parents weren't ever really affectionate with him either.

We have strived to be open and affectionate to our children. They have even learned that they can always ask for hugs, times, attention if they need it. I think it helps them to be better behaved because they feel as if they are empowered to ask for what they need.

Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes very much, embarrassingly so I'm sure sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Yes I am affectionate with my kiddos.

My parents and siblings still hug and kiss me
Connie04
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM
My mom has always been very affectionate and I am very affectionate with our son. I want him to not be afraid to show affection with his kids when he is an adult,
LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I am extremely affectionate with my little ones.  I hug 'em,' kiss 'em and snuggle 'em as much as I can.  I always tell them that I love them, that I am proud of them, and I always compliment them on things they have done.

I don't really remember if my parents were affectionate or not.  I remember getting hugged on special days and when I did something they were proud of, but not on a regular basis or "just because".

mommybear32
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

My parents were not affectionate. They did not say "I love you". DH came from a very huggy kissy lovey gooey family. I learned a lot from them.  I still don't really like people in my "bubble" but I'm very affectionate with my kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN